The London bombings 7/7/05

Originally posted by DanSumption

Most of us. We are not afraid, but the Americans, it seems, are.

I think that is really unfair Dan. It seems like a safety precaution to me. To suggest American people are more afraid is a gross misrepresentation of how people are here. The Twin Towers bombing was not so long ago, have you forgotten the courage & spirit of the people of New York City already?

I could understand if they were just stopping a few key personnel from visiting London, but banning thousands - that sounds like everyone down to the cleaners, and it does sound like an over-reaction and a counterproductive one at a time when Londoners are being urged to return to work and act as normal.

Perhaps I am being a little cynical, but I still have strong memories of Americans deserting London in their droves every time there was the slightest hint of IRA violence, and of seeing American tourists interviewed on TV, cutting their holidays short because they were somehow convinced they would be next.

I could understand if they were just stopping a few key personnel from visiting London, but banning thousands - that sounds like everyone down to the cleaners, and it does sound like an over-reaction and a counterproductive one at a time when Londoners are being urged to return to work and act as normal.

Perhaps I am being a little cynical, but I still have strong memories of Americans deserting London in their droves every time there was the slightest hint of IRA violence, and of seeing American tourists interviewed on TV, cutting their holidays short because they were somehow convinced they would be next.

I lived in London for a long-ish time and I don't remember any of that happening but I won't disagree with you without knowing the facts. I remember people who lived in London being shaken up (literally we were shaken when the bomb went off at Staples Corner) but everyone carried on going about their daily lives and our US relatives never expressed any fear of visiting us. A lot of them live in California and cope with earthquakes so I suppose one threat is like any other, when your times up, it is up!

I think you need to go back and re-read that article again. It was the RAF that put a stop to this! All military leave was probably cancelled as well as police, ambulance and fire brigade staff being called to be on standby. I'm begining to think you are trying to pick arguments with me for no reason.

When we lived in England my husband worked for an American oil company obiously staffed by quite a few Americans. They didn't all flee the country everytime the was an IRA uprising.

Originally posted by tulip

I think you need to go back and re-read that article again. It was the RAF that put a stop to this!

No, they are stationed at RAF bases but the orders come from their own command. But apparently they're not doing it because they're scared, it's because they don't want to get in the way. Yeah, right!

BTW, I'm not trying to pick an argument with you Tulip...

...it's just that you're the one who keeps taking the bait :twisted:

No, they are stationed at RAF bases but the orders come from their own command. But apparently they're not doing it because they're scared, it's because they don't want to get in the way. Yeah, right!

BTW, I'm not trying to pick an argument with you Tulip...

...it's just that you're the one who keeps taking the bait :twisted:

If the baits there I'll take it! They really aren't going to be concentrating on entertaining the public. I'm sure if they were scared they'd wouldn't have chosen the career that they did!

Just been reading that in a poll conducted by The Times , 88 % of people in the U.K. want tougher measures taken by the police in the fight against terrorism , stricter entry controls into Britain .......and so on......

This is entirely natural and what we would expect from the public after an attack like the London one---------but ----------it's a bit late to get tough now !

Years ago , maybe 20 years ago , I think it was , an anarchist group published a small booklet on how to make bombs from everyday objects. Therefore it follows that ANY group with the urge could make at least primitive bombs.

For a long time now it seems that illegals from all over the place have been able to get into Britain fairly easily.Even the legal ones that come here as refugees , and get put , "on hold" seem to find it quite easy to go underground. Now , whatever else terrorists might be , we can't accuse them of being stupid when it comes to planning , long-term or short-term. Would it take a genius to have , "planted" a good few terrorist sympathisers here , over the years ?

Then we have people who were born in this country and have sympathies for the terrorists' cause. No need for them to hide away. As long as they don't blab to anyone about their activities , who knows who or where they are ?

Add all the above ingredients together and you have the perfect recipe for trouble.

I think many intelligence agencies and the police and emergency services do a great job on the whole -----a dangerous and unpleasant job -----but they've got an almost impossible job on after years of us using a , "soft " approach.

A classic case , infact of the horse and the stable door.

Dansumption, I see you're still talking like a jerk. Americans are not cowards. Just like us Brits they are able to take it. Go into Endcliffe Park sometime when you're not too busy spewing crap about the US. There, if you look for it you will find a memorial to 10 American airmen, who died when their Flying Fortress crashed during WW2. So what, you're likely too say, if I'm not mistaken, just another plane crash.

That aircraft was attempting to belly land on the park grass, and the pilot saw some kids playing football ahead of him. He tried to bring the plane round for another go and hit the trees.

But for his actions those kids would have been killed. Those men didn't have to come over, they could have stayed home, and enjoyed a little baseball, but come they did.

Originally posted by buck

Dansumption, I see you're still talking like a jerk. Americans are not cowards. Just like us Brits they are able to take it. Go into Endcliffe Park sometime when you're not too busy spewing crap about the US. There, if you look for it you will find a memorial to 10 American airmen, who died when their Flying Fortress crashed during WW2. So what, you're likely too say, if I'm not mistaken, just another plane crash.

That aircraft was attempting to belly land on the park grass, and the pilot saw some kids playing football ahead of him. He tried to bring the plane round for another go and hit the trees.

But for his actions those kids would have been killed. Those men didn't have to come over, they could have stayed home, and enjoyed a little baseball, but come they did.

I wouldn't get too upset about Dansumption - he's doing this to bait me and he admitted it, the rascal! I'm sure everyone in their right minds knows the bravery of American service men and women!

Can someone tell me how this thread, which is supposed to be messages regarding the London bombings, has turned into a Great Britain vs. America debate?

If you want to argue about the Americans residing in the UK, or whatever this is about (to be honest I haven't read all the recent postings because to me they are irrelevant to the thread), perhaps a new thread should be created and this debate taken there?

Thanks!

:roll:

Mod. Note

Back on topic, please.

Dan, tulip - if you want to have a debate take it to PM land, please.

Back to London and things vaguely associated with it, please.

Joe

You will see for instance in this example that you have now effectively killed the debate stone dead.