The London bombings 7/7/05

Originally posted by tulip

It wouldn't surprise me if that was an intention 'statement' just as the timing was designed to get maximum, world wide news coverage that day. I want to see them in court too. I don't want them to remain faceless.

I wonder if Paris would have been the target if they had got the olympics?

Wherever we live, and whatever we are doing, let us all observe the 2 minutes silence at noon on Thursday.

Let us show our sympathy for those who lost their lives and were injured, and let us send a message to the perpetrators of this atrocity and their supporters - that we will not bow to their evil wickedness, and we will not be cowered.

Just seen this on the BBC site. Hope it's a false alarm. Possibly 2 suspect packages

=========

Police evacuate Birmingham centre

Police in Birmingham in the Midlands are evacuating the city centre.

Earlier they issued a warning they had received intelligence suggesting a threat to the area.

"Our response needs to be proportionate in the action we're taking and in informing the public," a spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said.

Police are now closing down the Birmingham Broad street entertainment zone and asking people to go home. A statement will be released shortly.

Do you know? I thought I posted a reply, Was it Censored?

Sheffco,

It was not 'Censored'. It was posted to the corrcet thread for a posting that was essentially comment.

You will find it here :

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?postid=487087#post487087

Post to the corrcet threads in future and you won't lose stuff!

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks Joe for the Corrct directions - - I am a little bit emotionally tired this morning. But as always deeply concerned about my country.

not directly connected to this thread but relevant imo ...

there's been a commemoration and concert today about WW2, and I'd like to say thanks to all the veterans and their families, not only for what they did in the war years but today too ... I've had tears in my eyes most of the afternoon ... I thought the spectacle of the massed bands and standards was just stunning, marching behind the Queen down the Mall.

The sight of that and the young Indian Army soldiers who played Taps and Reveille summed up for me just what it is we're all about here ... and why we can never give in to terrorists. We'd be letting everyone down from all over the Commonwealth who sixty odd years ago gave their lives and their youth to save Europe from a fate worse than death.

I also want to compliment the Queen, her stamina in sitting through a concert, taking a marchpast in the baking sun AND standing all the way down the Mall in an open topped car accompanied by Philip ... not bad going for a couple of octagenarians and she looked lovely too ...

whatever troubles we have now pale into significance when you consider what it was like living through either war.

Three held under anti-terror laws

Security has been high in the capital since Thursday's events

Three men have been arrested at Heathrow airport under anti-terrorism laws, police have said.

Senior officers told a news conference on Thursday's bombings in London that a link should not be made to the attacks.

Read more here

Originally posted by robbie

whatever troubles we have now pale into significance when you consider what it was like living through either war.

I don't think so. During the war the fear of attacks was dreadful but people knew to expect something to happen at any given moment. Spirits were high because people had each other for moral support. In cities children were sent to the 'safety' of the countryside and their parents could be pretty sure that their offspring would be safe. With terrorist attacks, no-one knows what to expect, where it will happen or how & when it will happen. The world is a huge place, now everyone everywhere is living a life of uncertainty. Before anyone says 'yes but we could get run over by a bus tomorrow, so we will carry on until our time is up' Anything could happen to anyone of us at any time but we don't want to raise the odds of it happening by adding more threats to our already fragile lives.

It would be nice to see the 'infighting' and suspicion end so everyone, no matter what their, religion, colour or creed could give each other support:|

Originally posted by tulip

I don't think so. During the war the fear of attacks was dreadful but people knew to expect something to happen at any given moment.

Hmm: 1940-41 Blitz, 43,000 dead in total, 450 dead in one raid on a school. 200 dead in one raid on a tube station. 1944-45 V-Weapons campign: 115,000 killed.

OK, I suppose it is nice to have a minute or two's warning before you die, but I would say that if you compare 158,000 dead vs. about 70 we still have it relatively easy by comparison.

The reference to teh V weapons campaign is interesting, because unlike the bombers in the Blitz and the 'Doodlebug' attacks (V1s) , the V2 missiles hit totally without warning.

No engine noise, whistle, air raid warning or 4 minute warning. The best the allies could do was to detect a launch but even then they couldn't predict the target.

So it was very similar to the impact of the terrorist attacks in psychological terms, especially as these weapons were used after most people in the UK thought that the threat form bombing was over.

Joe