Modern Life is Rubbish part 122

Some replies on here indicate quite well why the government feel the need to control everybodys actions.

Its a shame that the area of the brain that used to house common sense has been replaced with sarcastic stupidity.

When I was a kid living on a council estate we had bonfires in our back yards, there were all kinds of fireworks and we roasted spuds and chestnuts. Of course this was long before the Nanny State

When I was a kid living on a council estate we had bonfires in our back yards, there were all kinds of fireworks and we roasted spuds and chestnuts. Of course this was long before the Nanny State
My bold

And also long before the "Where there's blame, there's a claim" culture!!

One of the places I lived when I was a child was a pit village. People built huge, communal bonfires on patches of "green space" (small, semi-bald patches of earth dotted about the village).

If anybody got hurt - either building the bonfire or when it was alight - it was just an accident and it never occurred to anybody to try and find someone to sue for a few quid.

Unfortunately, that's not the case these days. I would imagine that the Council's actions were motivated mainly (if not solely) by the possibility that they might end up sued if someone got hurt and the Council had knowingly let an "unauthorised" bonfire go ahead.

it was my family who was buildin the fire an it wasnt that big all the wood was tightly packed in they couldnt have a back garden bon fire because if u know gleadless vally u will know most of it is flats and masonettes it was a treat for all the kids on the area who couldnt go 2 a bon fire for lack of money or no gardens an the council spoil it with the police an fire bregade when it was all set up for kids on the area and it was passed around by word of mouth an all the wood was given to 2 make it a good nite for every1

Nobody is allowed to have any good old fashioned fun any more. It is very sad. Our traditions are being murdered.

And also long before the "Where there's blame, there's a claim" culture!!

That's what you get for having a bunch of lawyers as politicians (and their wives, eh Cherie?).

it was my family who was buildin the fire an it wasnt that big all the wood was tightly packed in they couldnt have a back garden bon fire because if u know gleadless vally u will know most of it is flats and masonettes it was a treat for all the kids on the area who couldnt go 2 a bon fire for lack of money or no gardens an the council spoil it with the police an fire bregade when it was all set up for kids on the area and it was passed around by word of mouth an all the wood was given to 2 make it a good nite for every1

So you decided you would just set fire to someone else's land??

Oddly enough you still can. My neighbours had a bonfire on saturday night on their own land, invited their mates round, let off a few fireworks and a good time was had by all. No-one from the nanny state turned up to stop it, nobody complained and no-one committed any crime.

Despite the media looking for stories where there is none it's perfectly legitimate to have a bonfire party on your own land, but it isn't on public land. Where's the problem?

Someone I knew once chucked an unopened can of baked beans onto a bonfire. I wouldn't recommend it. We were still finding bits of metal lodged into trees at least 10 meters away.

Someone I knew once chucked an unopened can of baked beans onto a bonfire. I wouldn't recommend it. We were still finding bits of metal lodged into trees at least 10 meters away.

What happened to the beans!

Paulo