How do sewage works treat sewage?

Sorry if anyone's eating, but as I pass Blackburn Meadows on the train I often wonder how the process works.

From what I can see the typical sewage works have huge circular vats into which....er...matter is placed and showered with a liquid. Exactly what this liquid is and what it does I have no idea.

When you think about how much human waste each of us produces each day and that there's half a million people in our city alone, that's a hell of a lot of...er....waste. Given that the laws of science say that matter cannot be created or destroyed, what happens to it?

Sadly I'm not allowed to watch mucky videos at work, so I can't access that link. But thanks anyway.

Not mucky at all.............very clean...............eventually. Unless of course you are one of those who is turned on by the sight of Nurse Gladys Emmanuel in waders.

Basically its diluted with water until it becomes fit to release into the river at the far side of Blackburn Meadows.

Tissues and other debris is removed first

Then its allowed to settle in the vats, solids are removed and sold for fertilizer.

More dilution and testing before flowing into the River Rother

Sorry if anyone's eating, but as I pass Blackburn Meadows on the train I often wonder how the process works.

From what I can see the typical sewage works have huge circular vats into which....er...matter is placed and showered with a liquid. Exactly what this liquid is and what it does I have no idea.

When you think about how much human waste each of us produces each day and that there's half a million people in our city alone, that's a hell of a lot of...er....waste. Given that the laws of science say that matter cannot be created or destroyed, what happens to it?

You can have tours of Yorkshire water facilities, I recentley went to the one at Ewden, that was a water treatment one but they said if you keep an eye on the website that sometimes they do sewage ones.

You can have tours of Yorkshire water facilities, I recentley went to the one at Ewden, that was a water treatment one but they said if you keep an eye on the website that sometimes they do sewage ones.

My bald.

Wouldn't that be a lovely place to take a prospective partner on a first date?

Form a queue, ladies!