Japanese knotweed problems

not calling anyone here , but round up pro biactive wont really deal with knotweed, if it were that easy to treat then knotweed wouldnt be such a problem... my local authority used a jcb to dig the stuff up from a site they were building houses on.....

its a pain in the ass.

The royal horticultural society must be wrong then. As they recommend glyphosate as one type of treatment but do point out depending how much you are trying to get rid of it could take a few seasons. It can be dug out but it then must be disposed of separately as it then classed as controlled waste as it will simply re root at the skip yard.

I think it may be burnt once dried if dug out but you may have to double check that.

The council also have OUR money to spend as they please so can afford to send diggers in where as the op doesn't have the right to plow through the neighbours back yard on a bulldozer

I get the poison from Valleyside garden centre on Manchester Road (almost in Derbyshire) but I have got it fom B & Q in the past.

The one I use is a liquid form BAYER GLYPHOSATE CONCENTRATE WEEDKILLER 1 LITRE and I mix about 40ml to one litre of water in my spray gun, so get about twentyfive mixes from one pack.

I usually pay around £10 but full retail is £12.99.

Be patient, grasses and nettles start dying in the first week, I usually respray anything still green after one week and again if necessary at the end of week two.

Japanese Knotweed I spray Spring and late Summer I have cleared a patch twenty feet wide by twelve to fifteen feet deep in three years and have about three feet to go. I expect to spray for a total of five years to fully clear the plot.

i just had to dig deep and removed every part i could find

Your neighbour has a legal duty not to allow Knotweed to spread onto your property. For more information you can check out http://www.sheffieldknotweedcontrol.com

I'm not sure that is exactly right.

It is an offence to "knowingly spread" knotweed but i'm not sure that implies a legal duty to stop it spreading if it is already there.

As other posters have mentioned a good few applications of glyphosate based weedkiller will over time eradicate it.

Regarding burning it once it has dried - this is fine as long as it is done on your property and it is not removed.

If you wait until it's tall, cut it down with a scythe or sickle on a hot day, then go round and spray double-strength glyphosate down each hollow stem. Doing it that way is way more effective and lethal than spraying the foliage, although harder work.

We are having an issue with Japanese Knotweed on Sheffield City Council owned land next to ours. We only found out a week before our house sale was suppose to complete when the valuation came back to say it is unmortgagable as the mortgage lender views any property with knotweed within 30 metres of any boundry as having £0 value.

For anyone affected by knotweed the best report Ive found is this one from Cornwall who have major problems with the plant;

Knotweed Control: Implications for Biodiversity and Economic Regeneration in Cornwall, Lisa Rennocks, Duchy College, Rosewarne

Check it out here

The most important point in there that I hadn't found anywhere else is;

3.1.5.1 Case Study- Devaluation of Property

Where a private property was devalued by the plant being on adjacent council land and the council had to pay the valuation difference along with removal costs and both legal bills.

Thus far the council have admitted the land next to ours is theirs and that they will take steps to remove the problem and offer a guarantee of service so we can sell our home.

Hopefully the council wont do as they did last year which was just to cut down all the plant life including the plants and trees which had been preventing the knotweed covering the entire area, it is also believed they just dumped the knotweed in a tip (£5,000 fine and upto 6 months in jail).

We are having an issue with Japanese Knotweed on Sheffield City Council owned land next to ours. We only found out a week before our house sale was suppose to complete when the valuation came back to say it is unmortgagable as the mortgage lender views any property with knotweed within 30 metres of any boundry as having £0 value.

For anyone affected by knotweed the best report Ive found is this one from Cornwall who have major problems with the plant;

Knotweed Control: Implications for Biodiversity and Economic Regeneration in Cornwall, Lisa Rennocks, Duchy College, Rosewarne

Check it out here

The most important point in there that I hadn't found anywhere else is;

3.1.5.1 Case Study- Devaluation of Property

Where a private property was devalued by the plant being on adjacent council land and the council had to pay the valuation difference along with removal costs and both legal bills.

Thus far the council have admitted the land next to ours is theirs and that they will take steps to remove the problem and offer a guarantee of service so we can sell our home.

For location its just round the corner from where sheffieldknotweedcontrol are based

What exactly do you mean when you say 'tip'? It can be landfilled if its on the site licence.

if i find knotweed in a customers garden , am i legally bound to report it to the authorities or are they not that bothered...?

You cannot dispose if it in garden rubbish.

I treated mine by buying max strength roundup. Cutting the top of each piece and filling the hollow with weedkiller. 3 treatments and it was gone.

heavenlyart is exactly correct.. it can be gotten rid of. There was a news report which said that if someone allowed Japanese Knotweed to grow that they would be prosecuted, however this has turned out to be uncontrollable as a policy. Ranger Bob can help with further advice