Japanese knotweed problems

Are you sure it's Japanese knotweed and not the similar-looking but marginally less invasive Himalayan balsam?

It's the landowner's responsibility. I would get the strongest glyphosate weed killer you can get hold of and start spraying it over the fence yourself. All the council will do is spray it with glyphosate anyway.

Some recommendations for glyphosate treatment here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=218

I agree with previous posters, never cut knotweed.

A sliver the size of your fingernail can grow into another bush. It seems that the modern way to get rid of it is to treat it over several months with strong and extremely toxic weed killer.

If a neighbour is mowing it then they are probably causing it to spread.

If you have any small children or pets do not move here as they may be affected by the poison that may have to be liberally dumped on it for up to a year.

There was a small piece of land at the corner of Halifax road/Fox Hill road which was covered in the stuff. A few years ago it was killed and if I'm not mistaken it was the Council who treated it.

I also know of a private householder who was not allowed to sell his property as there was Japanese Knotweed growing just the other side of his property.

It is the landowners responsibility to get rid of it. However, if by saying you are looking at the property prior to renting it then you need to make an agreement with the council for it to be done before you sign a rent agreement as it is difficult to get anything done afterwards (they once posted a complaint about my front garden being overgrown despite it being in a better state than when I moved in).

J A Bird landscapes is licensed to kill Japanese Knotweed.

I have successfully killed japeneses knotweed at four different properties, I sprayed it with Gallup 360 and then injected the stems using an injection gun with a 20% solution of the Gallup 360 weed killer= http://www.chemigro.co.uk/Professional-Use/Strong-Weedkiller/20-LITRE-GALLUP-360-GLYPHOSATE-WEEDKILLER.aspx

It is the responsibility of whoever said land it is on to eradicate it.....

Edited by mafya

Many people get mixed up with Japanese knotweed (which is quite rare) and bindweed (which is all over the place in Sheffield).

Hopefully it's common bindweed and although a pest it's much easier to control.

In gardens the best way is to put long canes next to the bindweed and it will automatically twine itself up the cane. Put some strong weed killer with glycosulphate in a small sandwich style plastic bag then remove the cane and put all the bindweed with all its leaves inside the bag and seal it.

The leaves will feed off the glycosulphate and take the poison down to its roots and die.

If it's council property then I would expect them to simply spray with glycosulphate weed killer and that will kill most of it but it will probably need multiple treatments over time.

If it's the Japanese knotweed then the roots go very deep and spread many metres.

It takes numerous treatments of weed killer and even then it might come back.

Hence why house valuations plummet if the Japanese strain is close by.

If it's a council housing property call them up and report it. They do have a duty tp treat it properly, and may be using someone who uses stem injections. It will need treating over a few years though.

I'm currently looking at a council property which has knotweed on the back garden.. this stuff is a nightmare.. does anyone know of who's responsible to get rid of this..? the garden is a complete dump who ever lived there before did nothing about this.. spoke to a neighbour and I was told that although it looks dead now its been creeping across other gardens past few years.. but they just keep cutting it down with the mover etc.. the patch of land its took over is easily around 10-15 square ft.. really don't know what to do! Help!

This says the home owner is responsible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/greenpolitics/11185356/Homeowners-who-fail-to-control-Japanese-knotweed-face-criminal-prosecution-under-new-anti-social-behaviour-laws.html

Homeowners who fail to control Japanese knotweed face criminal prosecution under new anti-social behaviour laws.

Home Office guidance updated this week says people can be fined up to £2,500 for not controlling invasive plant in move designed to tackle problem in residential areas

Guest sibon
Many people get mixed up with Japanese knotweed (which is quite rare) and bindweed (which is all over the place in Sheffield).

Only people who don't know what Knotweed looks like. You'd have to be pretty daft to confuse the two.