Fishing At Hope Valley Cement Works

Lewis

I was fishing there by invitation about 2 years ago and there were several lakes to fish. To the best of my knowledge they are still there and you would be best asking about club membership through the works. I fished the carp lake which was fantastic. You literaly have to stop fishing through exhaustion after pulling so many fish out. The lakes are/were run very strictly and you will be out in a flash for breeching the rules.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I had a good friend who used to fish the cement works ponds a few years ago and yes according to what he told me it was indeed a victim of pollution and as a result a lot of fish, especially carp were lost.

The fella I knew who fished there up to it being polluted also used to say that the place was fishable by invitation only and that you had to become a member of the cement works social club first and pay a yearly fee to remain a member there and then as a social club member you could apply to go onto the fishing clubs waiting list. When your name finally got to the head of the waiting list for the fishing club you paid a further yearly fee as well as the social club fees for a membership of the fishing club. You also had to be seconded by two people who were existing members of the angling club and if they were happy to vouch for you your application was checked out and if you were accepted you then became a member and could fish the ponds on a 12 monthly permit. The social clubs fees were also payable 12 monthly ongoing.

As I say this wasn't hearsay it came from a past member of the Hope cement works fishing club.

• 9 years later...