Advice for driving offence please.

Anyone else suspect that there's more to this than the OP is telling us?

Lets hope he has been driving more than Two years

quote from DVLA website

Under the New Drivers Act your driving licence will be revoked if you build up six or more penalty points within two years of passing your first driving test. You’ll need to reapply for your driving licence as a learner driver and resit your driving test.

Anyone else suspect that there's more to this than the OP is telling us?

Yes, I do.

In order to stop a car, the Police must (despite what some people think) have a reason to do so. I doubt very much whether ANPR had anything to do with it UNLESS the vendor didn't have it insured and it was picked up in that way.

Otherwise, the driver must have done something to attract the atention of the Police and the fact that he hasn't got insurance is the secondary issue.

So what is the truth?

My limited understanding of car insurance is that if you want to driveanother car and be insured on your own policy the car has to be insured by another person, and your policy must allow this. More often than not u have to be over 25 as well.

This in effect stops you from insuring a fiat panda and then driving

a Ferrari that you own on the same policy.

If you've been stopped for no insurance then the policy has must have been cancelled by the person selling, hence your not covered.

If in doubt get day cover from aviva, £12 for a day for any car under £50k value.

Good luck although I can't see what you could do to get out of it. My cousin got 5 pts and £350 fine for making a similar mistake. This was 6 years ago, not sure of the penalties now.

an anpr camera will have picked up the cars reg plate as showing no insurance for the car thats why he was stopped

and as for having the car impounded thats now standard procedure for any motor vehicle that is showing no tax/mot or insurance or is being driven by an unlicensed driver its so that the driver cannot go back to the vehicle once the police have left the scene and carry on his journey illegally

im afraid he will be found guilty and charged with driving without insurance (in10) and will get 6 penalty points and a fine of around £250 (average fine amount for this)

his insurance will allow him to drive the other car he owns or did own and also any other vehicle not belonging to him but as he had bought the car 20 minutes before being stopped then he isnt covered by his insurance

unfortunately if the car had been insured still by the previous owner then he probably could have got away with it as he could have said he was test driving it before buying it but i doubt it was insured as thats why he was stopped because the anpr camera flashed up his car reg and after it was checked it showed no insurance on the p.n.c or insurance database

Can't he join the Masons quickly ?
Ha - very good! :hihi:

He would have known that the cover he had for this car, if he had it at all, was only 3rd party, so it was pretty daft to drive it anyway!

I didn't think fines for no isurance were fixed, a friend of my parents got caught and they got £100 fine together with 6 points.

Then you need to find an insurance company who will touch you..

With points given for IN10 (no insurance), they'll charge through the nose if they cover you at all

if you look on your log boo it states that the registered keeper of the vehicle is not neccesarily the owner of the vehicle, as it was just purchased then technically the police were correct and the insurance should have been upgraded before the car was driven home, feel sorry for you though these insurance companies will try any way out of paying up if need be

tell him to deny it, and dont worry, dont plead guilty,if worse comes to worse, he'll only get 6-8 points plus a fine, but he'll get that anyway if he pleads guilty, if his insurance says he can drive any car then he would be insured, plus, if the courts dont have enough proof then the case will only get thrown out of court, when he goes to court, tell him to take his insurance certificate with him and show it to the judge, he cant get punished if it says on his certificate that he is insured to drive, cos, technically no crime has been committed, if all else fails, then tell him to make a pyramid with his hands and make sure the judge sees it.

tell him to deny it, and dont worry, dont plead guilty,if worse comes to worse, he'll only get 6-8 points plus a fine, but he'll get that anyway if he pleads guilty, if his insurance says he can drive any car then he would be insured, plus, if the courts dont have enough proof then the case will only get thrown out of court, when he goes to court, tell him to take his insurance certificate with him and show it to the judge, he cant get punished if it says on his certificate that he is insured to drive, cos, technically no crime has been committed, if all else fails, then tell him to make a pyramid with his hands and make sure the judge sees it.

Sorry, I can't leave this nonsense as the last word on this.

Vehicles are insured not the driver.

If you own two vehicles you need two policies unless, say, you have a fleet policy.

If you say to the police "I only just bought this car" that will be made known to the judge.

So ownership of the car is indisputable as is the fact that it was being driven uninsured. Like the OP says, ignorance is no defence, so it seems an open and shut proven case rather than one to blag out of.

No 1 excuse do you have insurance sir no only just bought it