1960's Hillsborough contacts

I am trying to contact people from my life in 1960's Hillsborough. My name is Brian Wright and I would be keen on contacting people who were members of Hillsborough Trinity Youth Club 1963-1968, members of Malin Bridge Junior School - late 1950's, and anyone my age who was knocking about Hillsborough in my time 1955-1975.

I was goalkeeper for many local teams and football team mates and opponents would be welcome contacts.

Bob aizlewood - broadcaster - and Ray and Sally Proctor would also be welcome .

dont know if this is of any use but sacred heart school/church are having a festival weekend on 3rd to 5th july .

"the festival exhibition will provide a then and now overview of the many aspects of hilsbro life , reminiscences from local people and photographs rekindling memories for many visitors" I know its not anywhere that you have mentioned but as its about hillsborough I suppose its a possibility that someone may be there that you're looking for .

school contact number is 2344362 if thats any help to you.

good luck

I am trying to contact people from my life in 1960's Hillsborough. My name is Brian Wright and I would be keen on contacting people who were members of Hillsborough Trinity Youth Club 1963-1968, members of Malin Bridge Junior School - late 1950's, and anyone my age who was knocking about Hillsborough in my time 1955-1975.

I was goalkeeper for many local teams and football team mates and opponents would be welcome contacts.

Hi Brian. Some time ago I contributed to a thread about "Head teachers nicknames". My Uncle, Frank Brooham was a teacher at Malin Bridge around that time and the thread has photos etc. Maybe it will be of use to you.

I went to Malin Bridge Infant school from 1952-54 , my teachers were, Miss Birch, Miss Garrison.

I was at the Junior school from 1954-58/59, my teachers were, Mrs Potter, Mr Brooham & Miss Thorpe.

After Malin Bridge I went to Wisewood school from 1959-60 and then the CTS from 1960-63

I have lived in Hillsborough all my life.

Hello Geoffusa,

Frank Brooham was the son of my grandmother's cousin i.e. his grandmother, Sarah Jane Clark, was the sister of Elizabeth Clark, my great grandmother. She was the wife of John Thomas Bacon and was born in Stanningley, and later moved to Princess Street in Sheffield. Elizabeth's daughter, Emily Bacon, married Gordon Henry Warwick, a dining car attendant and I am their granddaughter. Elizabeth and Sarah's father was Joseph Clark who married a Mary Ross in Rotherham (I have a picture of her in her 90s from the 1920s) and his father was John Creswick Clark, a shoemaker from Wath upon Dearne. I think my late uncle Walter used to visit the Broohams in the 1930s with his mother, and certainly John Brooham, one of Frank's uncles, was with John Thomas and Elizabeth Bacon at the time of the 1901 Census and one of his aunts, Sarah Jane Brooham (1890-1891) was born in Westhouses, where the Bacons lived. Perhaps the air was better there and they thought the children would have a better chance of growing up.

do you have any information about who were the parents of Frank's grandfather, George William Brooham (or Broom) who was born in Oughtibridge and his ?aunt? Lillyetta Brooham, who ended up in Grimsby.

I would love to hear from you and learn more about the Brooham family

Hi Brian and wheresmybus- you might like to see these 1950s Malin Bridge Junior photos:

Class 4A April 1959 ... Staff 1953-54 ... Staff 1955

How many people can you name?.;) On the 1959 photo I am at the far left of the second row back (Philip Robinson).

Hello Geoffusa,

Frank Brooham was the son of my grandmother's cousin i.e. his grandmother, Sarah Jane Clark, was the sister of Elizabeth Clark, my great grandmother. She was the wife of John Thomas Bacon and was born in Stanningley, and later moved to Princess Street in Sheffield. Elizabeth's daughter, Emily Bacon, married Gordon Henry Warwick, a dining car attendant and I am their granddaughter. Elizabeth and Sarah's father was Joseph Clark who married a Mary Ross in Rotherham (I have a picture of her in her 90s from the 1920s) and his father was John Creswick Clark, a shoemaker from Wath upon Dearne. I think my late uncle Walter used to visit the Broohams in the 1930s with his mother, and certainly John Brooham, one of Frank's uncles, was with John Thomas and Elizabeth Bacon at the time of the 1901 Census and one of his aunts, Sarah Jane Brooham (1890-1891) was born in Westhouses, where the Bacons lived. Perhaps the air was better there and they thought the children would have a better chance of growing up.

do you have any information about who were the parents of Frank's grandfather, George William Brooham (or Broom) who was born in Oughtibridge and his ?aunt? Lillyetta Brooham, who ended up in Grimsby.

I would love to hear from you and learn more about the Brooham family

Frank Brooham was my dad's cousin although they were actually like brothers as far as being close was concerned. I didn't know any of "Uncle" Frank's relations, but I have forwarded your infortmation to his daughter who will be very interested and maybe add some more info for you.

Kind regards, Geoff

Hillsborough

Was the boy stood next to you on the class photo called Jordan?

Was there in Glossops in your Class?

PopT

Hi PopT - Ashley Davis is next to me; I don't remember any Glossops at the school when I was there - sorry!

In case it's of interest to anyone, here are the names of Mr Hawley's Class 4A in 1959:

Back row, left to right:

Roger Pearce, Raymond Proctor, Victor Edy, Graham Wilkinson, Melville Norton, Stuart Ronson, Stephen Spencer, Michael Wilmot, Stephen Tivey, Kevin Cole.

Next row:

Geoffrey.Smith, Brian.Wright, Susan.Bell, Jean.Mason, Patricia.Hunter, Kathleen.Lambert, Judith.Oxley, Josephine.Fairfax, Susan.Wingfield, Julian.Hunt.

Next row:

Philip Robinson, Ashley Davis, Jimmy Croft, Trevor Ronksley, Brian Gaines, John Russell, Robert Davey, Tony Williamson, John Mills, Robert Johnson.

Front row:

Sandra Appleyard, Moira Jackson, Carol Myers, Margaret Preece, Barbara Mullineux, Lynne Memmott, Christine Ashforth, Ainsley Markham

Angela Berry, David Gregory and Barbara Pearson were off sick. Lewis Hawley (1914-1999) is at the right, the headteacher Frank "Pop" Courage (1903-1980) is at the left.

Thanks very much Geoff. It would be so nice to find out more.

Helen

Who recalls the ABC streets. Amberley, Brough, Cotton, Driffield, and Eden. I was born on Eden Street in 1946. I had two elderly sisters at that time called Jean, Carol, My brother was called Dereck. I have other brothers and sisters born since and not at Hillsborough. Eden street though I was young brings back many memmories.

I well remember the ABC streets - here's a map. Does anyone know why four of them were named after places in East Yorkshire? I guess there was some connection with the original property developer, but I've often wondered.