What is happening to our city centre?

Looking at your previous posts it seems that you have some sort of beef with Cllr Scriven. You don't happen to be Jan Wilson or some other Labour councillor do you!

No I'm not although I seem to have hit a nerve with you.

Maybe I'm just not convinced by the spin.

I'm not willing to compromise and have ugly buildings such as Liverpool One, Arndale or Frenchgate in town. A "normal" city or town centre is not a mall.

Liverpool One isn't a building.

It's street after street of shopping, cinemas, a park, restaurants and bars, hotels, apartments, right in the middle of town. Open streets, not covered. It more or less follows the original street plan in an area at the heart of the city centre - it is not a seperate district. It contains something like 40 different buildings, many of them being beatifully refurbished existing ones that have been more or less derelict for years.

But the best thing it has done is to knit the older shopping area together with the waterfront. As a result, the Albert Dock has never been busier than it is now - to the benefit of all the businesses, museums and galleries located there. It has also connected other outlying areas of the existing retail core back into the rest of the city - so the likes of Lord Street and Whitechapel are now heaving with people.

I think that pretty much sums up Sheffield, why it's dying, and why people avoid it like the plague. Attitudes like that.

Enjoy your empty city with boarded up shops and no jobs and no tourism and no investment from big business. It will be just like Rotherham. But, hey, so long as you're happy.

Ten years a go, a "normal" city wasn't for living in. But cities evolve and people and places change. Change or die.

i just dont understand why there is so much opposition to change in this city, it has great potential but it seems that so many are happy as it is!

They will be rallying against the city eye (wheel) next. "doesnt fit in!"

i think sheffield is a city that is changing, for the better! if its done properly it will attract business, retail and residential!

As far as i can see from the plans, sevenstone isn't a mall.

In my view

Meadowhall and Crystal peaks Killed it Quite a while ago If you want any proof? Just take a look at the city centre and markets BEFORE both of these complex's it was thrieving ....ALso if you look at chesterfield City centre Most shops are open and doing quite well hence not near any large shopping centres

Also peoples shopping habits have changed We personally DO NOT use the city centre ever as parking is a nightmare and you have to pay , you get rained on and have to put up with the weather and theres a good chance youl get mugged in certain areas Ie nr waitrose /london rd etc...and the old markets ......

I also havent the time trudging around varoius shops that arent nr to each other

Instead we can use retail parks /shopping centre's with safe enviroments, covered from the elements and FREE parking. Everything is under one roof and no trudging about

For me close all the shops in town who uses them anyway tbh ?

Anyone not living in Sheffield and reading this thread is going to get a totally wrong impression of the city centre, I walked through the city from the bottom of the Moor to the railway station via the Winter Garden yesterdy and there were loads of people around so not really dead. I also like to look for good or positive things unlike the gloomy view that several people on this thread seem to see. I know you're never going to please everyone with every new development but I really do think that some people see the past design through rosy tinted spectacles. A good example of this is the fondness that the Peace gardens are remembered, okay the flowers added colour but I can also remember the grass edges being trampled to mud and the rubbish in the little pond/fountain features by the egg box and of course not forgetting the wino's in the bushes using it as a public loo.

Oh my GOD....you moaning g**s make my blood boil. Bring something new to Sheffield and you jump on the band wagon and moan moan moan. It wasn't so long ago that Sheffield city centre was like a pimple on gods arse, absolutely on it's knees!! Now it's recovering and all anyone can say is they are spoiling it. Do you really want to keep the moor and areas like the haymarket as they are. They smell of p**s, full of graffiti and are in a poor state of repair. It's about time Sheffield saw some investment and major improvements to make it a much better place for us all. One thing is for sure, nothing is certain but change!!!! Get used to it and quit moaning.

Liverpool One isn't a building.

It's street after street of shopping, cinemas, a park, restaurants and bars, hotels, apartments, right in the middle of town. Open streets, not covered.

Captain_Scarlett has probably not even been and see it with his own eyes, but it doesn't stop him whining about how bad it is! The whingers on the "Big Wheel" threat are testament to this.

Some people are quick to condemn other cities, but if they actually went to them it would open their eyes to see what a rut Sheffield is in, and not just geographically, but culturally.

And their only comeback is "if you like it so much, go and live there".

Some people are quick to condemn other cities, but if they actually went to them it would open their eyes to see what a rut Sheffield is in, and not just geographically, but culturally.

How can a city be in a rut geographically?

What a stupid statement.