Residents' parking permits - a complete rip off?

I just wanted to get something off my chest that happened today. Parking services have been a little over keen around our area recently and today was the final straw.

They have put a ticket on my friend's car because even though he was not parked on double yellow lines in any way, aparantly you can only park outside our house for less than two hours. I have never known this, the signs are halfway down the road and I've had a word with the traffic warden and all she told me is we need to apply for a permit.

Trouble is I've been on the website and they are £35! What do people think about this? I don't understand why we have to pay to park outside our own homes??? It would have been nice of the council to inform of this as well, as like I said, I never even knew about it.

Also the parking services van was parked on the pavement, next to double yellow lines!!! When I confronted the traffic warden about this she just shrugged it off and said "well we have to do our job". What a joke! I don't see the builders down the road being allowed to park on the pavement just because they "have to do their job". It is double standards and it makes me sick. I've written a strong email to the parking services about it (as I took a few photos on my mobile ;) ) but I really doubt they will care. But as far as I knew, the highway code states double yellow lines mean "no parking at any time" not "no parking at any time...oh except for council workers just doing their job"

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Originally posted by Lucy_Smith

Also the parking services van was parked on the pavement, next to double yellow lines!!! When I confronted the traffic warden about this she just shrugged it off and said "well we have to do our job". ... It is double standards and it makes me sick. I've written a strong email to the parking services about it (as I took a few photos on my mobile ;) ) but I really doubt they will care.

Can I suggest you send copies of the letter to your local Councilor.

Originally posted by Andy

Can I suggest you send copies of the letter to your local Councilor.

Do you think this will help? I figure they are just trying to raise money the best way they know how... :mad:

Do you think this will help? I figure they are just trying to raise money the best way they know how... :mad:

They might raise more money by issuing a ticket to the parking warden.

:clap: :clap:

It is double standards and it makes me sick. I've written a strong email to the parking services about it (as I took a few photos on my mobile ;) ) but I really doubt they will care.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Be interested to hear what they have to say about it. I once queried a similar situation and was told that when it comes to parking restrictions, traffic wardens have 'operational immunity', - but I doubt this covers parking on the pavement, which isn't just a local restriction.

We don't pay for our parking permits.....what area are you in?

I live on Stalker Lees Road (just off Eccy Rd) and the only permit scheme I can see on their website is for Broomhill. Not very useful but we will see what they say tomorrow if/when they get back to me.

I won't really mind so much if we don't have to pay for them but suspect we will living in such a busy area.

What I do care about though is the traffic wardens braking the law. But I imagine they will just give some lame excuse like they seem to have given Greybeard...funny I have never read about "operational immunity" in the highway code... :suspect:

Lucy - I am positive there is no parking permit scheme in operation where you live at present. Sure they are considering it for the future so investigate further if you are required to be paying for an annual permit. Maybe the warden is used to working on another patch or is over zealous.

Originally posted by samc

Lucy - I am positive there is no parking permit scheme in operation where you live at present. Sure they are considering it for the future so investigate further if you are required to be paying for an annual permit. Maybe the warden is used to working on another patch or is over zealous.

Thanks for that SamC. So now I don't know what to do! Guess we will just have to move the car every two hours...great!!!

send a copy of the letter to the Star - and ring in on the phone ins to radio sheffield - lets get this stopped before it takes hold...if people do pay up then the council will think they can do it everywhere....

...funny I have never read about "operational immunity" in the highway code... :suspect:

My experience was at a time when the Traffic Wardens were an 'arm' of the police and anyway didn't happen in Sheffield.

I'm not sure at all about parking restriction on minor/suburban/residential roads. They will be imposed entirely at the discretion of the local authority, - perhaps that discretion extends to who can be excused from the restrictions ??

I live on Stalker Lees Road (just off Eccy Rd) and the only permit scheme I can see on their website is for Broomhill. <snip>

From the SCC website,

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/transport-and-highways/highway-services/traffic-regulations/residents-parking

Residents Parking Schemes

The City Council has been aware that residents and businesses in many areas of Sheffield experience difficulty with regard to parking near their properties.

In the past a few small local residents parking schemes have been implemented, however recently the Council has decided to adopt a more holistic approach and establish a Peripheral Parking Zone (PPZ) around the City Centre to be based on

· where parking problems were known to exist

· where requests for action had been received

· where existing Residents Parking Schemes were in place

The PPZ will need to be developed in phases, the first phase being the implementation of an area wide Residents Parking Scheme in the Broomhall and The Groves area

Stalker Lees has been in a residents parking scheme for years now, it's just you obviously "got away with it" 'til now.