Train Station closed to non ticket holders

The current rules are that you should pay at the first opportunity. This means if you board at a station with full ticketing you must pay there, not on the train. With Sheffield, the only exception to not buying a ticket before boarding is if the ticket office is closed, and all ticket machines are out of order.

When I've gone to Leeds since being here I've paid while on the train and I've never been made to feel like a fare dodger. Infact it was useful for me as I could ask the guy what kind of ticket to buy if I was coming back in a couple of days. How come they allow you to do it like it's normal if it's actually not, isn't that sending mixed signals? I wouldn't be happy if it suddenly wasn't an option one day and I was accused of making an excuse.

Presumably the automatic barriers would be like the ones they have in tube stations, so why can't they have them on the platforms at the bottom of each flight of steps.

the more barriers the better, less queueing.

That leaves the bridge barrier free.

Posted just one page back...

See earlier pages for the cons of putting the barriers on the platforms or at the top of the stairs - poses crush risk and as each would need staffing, that'd be what, three, four times the amount of staff to man. I can't see EMT going for that.

Presumably the automatic barriers would be like the ones they have in tube stations, so why can't they have them on the platforms at the bottom of each flight of steps.

the more barriers the better, less queueing.

That leaves the bridge barrier free.

No one really gets this. I don't think people really know what the barriers are?

If they were at the bottom of the stairs you would needs lots of them - more cost, more staff, more chance of vandalism.

Put a set of barriers at the bridge entrances - less cost, less staff needed, less chance of vandalism.

I really can't see what the fuss is about. Go to another train station and you will see excatly the same - barriers at the entrances to the platform - not barriers for each separate platform - it is just not feasible.

Why, do you want to fare dodge? Or just cross the bridge?

To fair dodge of course!

If the conductor can be bothered to sell me a ticket in the morning then i gladly buy a return! If not, i can't be bothered to buy a ticket home as this results in me having to wait for the following service 1/2 an hour later! :confused:

I really can't see what the fuss is about. Go to another train station and you will see excatly the same - barriers at the entrances to the platform - not barriers for each separate platform - it is just not feasible.
No one said the barriers should stay in "the other station", they're just as much a nuisance there as they'd be in Sheffield.

Barriers is the laziest most annoying way to control ticket. It's 2009, Stagecoach can come up with something better. Once they've alienated enough people they'll come to regret being a bunch of lame uninspired Londoners who think their ideas and operating methods apply here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sheffield isn't a tube station. It's not a tunnel with stairs going outside. It was no longer viable to hand inspect tickets in underground stations but it is not necessary to inspect tickets at the station's entrances.

Do it ON-BOARD.