Cycle lanes Abbey lane

Wouldn't it make more sense for cyclists to get a discount to make up for all the hundreds of miles of motorways costing billions for which they pay via tax but cannot use?

Wouldn't it make more sense for cyclists to get a discount to make up for all the hundreds of miles of motorways costing billions for which they pay via tax but cannot use?

And a refund on the VED for the car that I leave in the garage, reducing pollution, congestion and my requirement for the NHS.

I think though the planners went for the easy option of just replacing what was there previously and not using the resurfacing work to make a safer environment.. an opportunity missed. But given the number of roads and rework currently going on then how can the over stretched planners think of everything ?

They could adopt the sensible policy of telling Amey not to repaint gutter lanes but otherwise do like-for-like.

maybe people who ride bikes everyday and want more cycle lanes would like to pay some sort of road tax to help fund all these lanes for cyclists

Firstly, 'road tax' is emissions linked, and therefore cyclists pay the same as electric cars, which is zero. We also cause no damage to the roads, unlike electric cars, and again the owners of which pay zero 'road tax'.

Secondly, I own two cars and pay over £400 per year in 'road tax'. How much do you pay?

Thirdly, I don't want more bike lanes. What I want is for people to recognise that the cyclist in front of them is a human being. A father, a son, a daughter, a mother. Not an obstruction to be bullied, abused and skimmed past with a foot to spare because you can't wait 5 seconds - despite queuing up for absolutely everything else in your life without complaint - rush hour traffic, parking spaces, shops, restaurants etc etc.

Firstly, 'road tax' is emissions linked, and therefore cyclists pay the same as electric cars, which is zero. We also cause no damage to the roads, unlike electric cars, and again the owners of which pay zero 'road tax'.

Secondly, I own two cars and pay over £400 per year in 'road tax'. How much do you pay?

Thirdly, I don't want more bike lanes. What I want is for people to recognise that the cyclist in front of them is a human being. A father, a son, a daughter, a mother. Not an obstruction to be bullied, abused and skimmed past with a foot to spare because you can't wait 5 seconds - despite queuing up for absolutely everything else in your life without complaint - rush hour traffic, parking spaces, shops, restaurants etc etc.

What a great post, couldn't have put it better myself :)

you can park in some cycle lanes in Sheffield.

you can park in some cycle lanes in Sheffield.

Yep, you can park in any cycle lane with a broken white line rather than a solid one. That's how seriously the UK take cycling infrastructure.

I ride home from the city centre most days. Yesterday I had to ride around several people walking in the bike lane on sheaf street towards park square (the pedestrian lane is 2 feet to the left). Then coming under the parkway and around Pinnacles there was a car parked up on the pavement, completely blocking the bike lane. Then there were more pedestrians walking in the bike section of the path up Broad Street. Then a car completely blocking access to the dropped kerb cycle path at the top of Maltravers Road.

There are routinely people walking in the cycle lane on Langsett Road, despite having an entirely separate and perfectly good pavement to walk on 3 feet away. They particularly seem to like lurking around the blind corner...

There are routinely people walking in the cycle lane on Langsett Road, despite having an entirely separate and perfectly good pavement to walk on 3 feet away. They particularly seem to like lurking around the blind corner...

I seriously wonder if the red tarmac is used back to front? People do seem to be more attracted to walking on the red bits (on all similar layouts, not just Langsett Road). I'd be interested if there is some kind of natural predisposition, attracting people to walk on red surfaces over black.

It seems that way

The cycle path there is to the inside, so on the corners it makes for the slightly shorter path... Perhaps that's it.

That and most pedestrians seem to be in a world of their own.

There is a cycle lane outside oasis at Meadowhall where I have seen cyclists pass pedestrians at speed. Being so close to a path and with children about such cycle paths should be used with care and be ready to stop.

Guest sibon
The cycle path there is to the inside, so on the corners it makes for the slightly shorter path... Perhaps that's it.

That and most pedestrians seem to be in a world of their own.

It can't make much difference though. Surely navigating slowly and carefully around a more vulnerable road user doesn't adversely affect your journey.