Pond Street Nora

Guest Guest

Pond Street Nora was really scarey.If you needed the loo in the bus station and went into 'her' cubicle by mistake she used to go mental. Me and my friends were scared to death of her. Cant image the stuff about her having a change baby is true. The father would need to be crackers to go near her.

I heard she ran off with the Duke of Darnall!

she must be deaad by now she did have mental health issues i remember her swearing and shouting at people never did any harm to any one may have upset a few if she sat next to you. but everyone new her all the drivers and conducters inspectors staff at the 4 seasons the cafe there before it was all altered she must have past away. i was once told she had family somewhere but who knows

she must be deaad by now she did have mental health issues i remember her swearing and shouting at people never did any harm to any one may have upset a few if she sat next to you. but everyone new her all the drivers and conducters inspectors staff at the 4 seasons the cafe there before it was all altered she must have past away. i was once told she had family somewhere but who knows

If you read the whole thread all the answers are there, its wonderful :)

yea i remember him come to think of it there was two guys poss same height with bald head and the one im thinking of in the poss late 50/60s wore a r.a.f. long coat and if my mind is correct i heard he was a ace in the war in spitfires and it sent him a bit funny after he came out of the hospital also i was told he was decorated for him being a hero etc.

Hi, Yes I can also remember him walking down the Moor looking in the litter bins, I was always told he was a fighter pilot in the war too. what I cannot understand is why he got no support being ex RAF.

REgards.

The last time I saw Nora was very early one dark winter morning in the early 80s. I was on my way to Manchester and stopped to buy a paper at a shop on Langsett Road. She was sat very still on a sack of spuds just inside the doorway. I didn't see her at first and got the shock of my life when I nearly bumped into her.

I'd not seen her in years previous to that and had thought she was dead. She certainly was one of Sheffield's unforgettable characters though I've never seen a photo of her.

I remember Pond St Nora I was only a young lad at the time and she used to scare the hell out of me,... don't know why she never did anything to me.

I have this image of her (right or wrong?) of her either sprinting or walking extremely fast around the bus station shouting or mumbling to herself I seem to remember her dressed in black and white clothes (I think ?).

My mum used to shepperd me away from her path so I suppose that was the reason I was scared of her.

As previously said I think most of the teasing of her was harmless fun but not for poor old Nora... hope she rests in peace.

Hi, Yes I can also remember him walking down the Moor looking in the litter bins, I was always told he was a fighter pilot in the war too...
That was Cyril Griffin. I don't know how the myth of him having been a fighter pilot arose - perhaps because at one time he wore an RAF coat, but he was never in the RAF. In the 1950s he was an electrician at Firth Brown's where he worked with my dad. He had some sort of breakdown after his parents died and took to the streets. In December 1976 he was found dead, apparently from exposure, in the B.H.S. doorway. There is a thread about him here.