Apprentice Boys of Derry open Campsie Club in Hillsborough

I saw this parade earlier- the traffic was stopped briefly at Law bros roundabout. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw the banner, and thought it was very weird. People are entitled to parade if they like I suppose, and it seemed quite insignificant. Wonder how much the police presence cost, though?

They commemorate the occasion in the 17th century when some apprentice boys closed the gates of Derry in Northern Ireland and kept Catholics out of the city. One of them was called Henry Campsie.

In my experience of serving in Belfast on several occasions, bigger trouble seekers than the Catholic yobs we were later sent there to control.

Heed this forumers advice,we don't want these people in our city.

Heed this forumers advice,we don't want these people in our city.

You don't want these people in your city? Do you know who they are? You'll find they are people, they are your everyday people who happen to believe in a religion.

Right FairyNormal I've done some research. The apprenticeboys, as said above, are a group that keep alive the events of the siege of Derry. They believe these things to be important to our history and should be publicly commemorated through parades.

The campsie clubs meet purely to organise these parades. There seems to be about five of these clubs in mainland UK- Liverpool and London have one, and there is one in Walsall as well as a couple of others.

This really begs the question- why Sheffield? It has little history of sectarianism and, as someone who witnessed this parade and felt rather discomforted by it, as I suspect, did your mum, we really don't identify with the things this group seems concerned with and it doesn't seem to belong here.

However, the parade was a low key and insignificant affair- let's hope any future parades will remain so.

To those who say this is a religious organisation- I disagree- there was no religious imagery or references in that parade- it seemed quasi military/political to me.

Odd, baffling, bewildering- wonder what's going to happen when the marching season starts properly!!

You don't want these people in your city? Do you know who they are? You'll find they are people, they are your everyday people who happen to believe in a religion.

I know who they are but for those who don't, enlighten us with their everyday views of the world.

i didnt like watching the orange order "parading" when i lived in belfast, dont need it here

i lived in a protestant area for a while and the protestant parades particularly the twelth decended into mass on street drinking and as in 2005 mass rioting