Vikings in and Around Sheffield

My old English teacher always said Hackenthorpe was named after a Viking chief called Haken..Haken's Thorpe. He probably made it up though, he were a reight tater!

My old English teacher always said Hackenthorpe was named after a Viking chief called Haken..Haken's Thorpe. He probably made it up though, he were a reight tater!

nope, that's almost the same as the story for the root of the name I was given, too, BD...

Thorpe (Torrpe) is Norse for farmstead, Hacken thorpe was Haaken's/ Haake's thorpe Haaken's farmstead. Same as Jordanthorpe was J/Yorda's Thorpe:-Jorda's farmstead.

(I don't think we can use the same idea for Woodthorpe or Owlthorpe though! ;) )

I believe names ending in ley, Heeley, Walkley.. also mean a clearing in the woods

yes that is right, i live in wickersley s66 and was told that information by a local historian,

By is also a Norse suffix to place names, I believe. (Grimsby for example)

Raping and pillaging on the Manor no doubt.:hihi:

Vikings? Don't talk to be about vikings. They came over, brought their daft religion with them, lived on dole money and took our women. They changed Britain. Should have been shipped home.

Keep Britain Saxon! :D

Vikings? Don't talk to be about vikings. They came over, brought their daft religion with them, lived on dole money and took our women. They changed Britain. Should have been shipped home.

Keep Britain Saxon! :D

PT looks up the schedule for ferries to København.

(and quietly wonders if her scarf will fit under one of these:-

http://www.auction-warehouse.com/lotimage/243771.jpg )

as a metal detectorist detecting around sheffield,iv not come across any viking stuff yet..odd saxon from ecclesfield.and roman up by top of hallifax road

"We brits love to associate ourselves with the vikings while over here in scandinavia the people very rarely mention them , its allmost as if they are embarrassed"

That's because they're the farmers we Son's of Ragnar left behind when we took to the old grey widow maker bare-sark bellies full of mead and fly-agraric biting chunks out of our shields

Bugger off Grinder Im proud of my Viking roots ! And thers names in Sheffield with strong Viking names eg Hackenthorpe ! Anything with thorpe or Garth are viking . So read this and weep ! All Hail Odin

Coal Aston and Dronfield were supposed to be Danish settlements, Aston End the building on the right at the top of Green Lane Coal Aston is a pre Norman 'Cruck' building as are the shops in Church Street Dronfield.

I know there are several placenames in and the area that are thought to be of Viking origins.

Does anyone know if there has ever been any evidence of Vikings living in this area apart from these place names?

Have any artefacts or buildings been found and if so, where can you see them?

PopT

We seem to have drifted a long way from the original question.

So have any Viking artefact's or buildings been found in the area ?

Edited by grinder

We seem to have drifted a long way from the original question.

So have any Viking artefact's or buildings been found in the area ?

Cruck buildings in Dronfield/Coal Aston which it is claimed was a originaly a Danish settlement