Vikings in and Around Sheffield

Barnsley is full of them.. no seriously, Lund is a word for "sacred wood" and the word laking (Barnsleyish - "to play") is very similar to the swedish verb to play.

Richard

i read many years ago that upperthorpe was a viking tannery as there are many natural springs that at one time,before drains, would have gathered around upperthorpe

Edited by depoix

The Vikings were Scandinavian,but the Angles and the Saxons, German...

The Angles came from Northern Germany in the fifth and sixth century and settled north eastern England after the Romans left....

The Saxons were a West German tribe who settled southern England about the same time....

That's why we're Anglo,Saxon and how we became (Angland) England

The Vikings arrived from the eighth to the eleventh century

Isn't the Viking era where giving someone the middle finger came from ?

Barnsley is full of them.. no seriously, Lund is a word for "sacred wood" and the word laking (Barnsleyish - "to play") is very similar to the swedish verb to play.

Richard

So "Lundwood means "Sacred Wood Wood", does it? :hihi: (Hmmm *thinks* didn't he star in "The Equaliser? :huh: lol )

It's a bit like Roydfield Drive, at Waterthorpe... Royd means field.. therefore it means "Field-field Drive!!! lol

I mean did Mary queen of Scots ever actually stay here for any length of time ?.

Once while in Scotland I spoke to a lady in charge of Marys section of the local museum and she didn't have the foggiest about her ever being in Sheffield.

Plus we are only mentioned in passing if at all in any program about the lady...

Mary Queen of Scots was a prisoner in Sheffield for about 19 years before she was executed.

Never seen any reference to Queen Elizabeth I visiting Sheffield.

And most of the extent of Sheffield Castle was revealed during the building of the Co-operative store and Castle Markets in 1927-29.

Edited by Greybeard

Both the Saxons and the Vikings built in stone. There are numerous Saxon churches still standing around the country. The Vikings had to build in stone in many places such as the Northern Isles, there being no source of timber. In this country they built in stone as a readily available material. There are several places in the Peak District where the stone remains of Viking houses can be seen.

As for 400 years of French occupation, the Normans were of Viking origins (hence Normans or Northmen) who settled in France not that long before they invaded England.

The archaeology report on Sheffield castle when the co-op was built can be seen in full here

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=5885

Edited by algy

Please read the Sheffield Universities Archaeological Investigations of the castle,1999 and 2001...

The Normans were originally Norsemen given a large area of northern France in exchange for token obedience to the Frankish King Charles, under a guy called Rollo (not the sweet) in AD.911.

Under Duke Rollo they became the Normans...

They came here from France and they spoke French and they defeated the Saxons/Danes Who originally came from Germany and Denmark who I guess spoke English in AD.1066 ...

From then until Henry the eighth, the court and the royal families first language was French

Edited by grinder

Please read the Sheffield Universities Archaeological Investigations of the castle,1999 and 2001...

I believe I did at the time. These later reports didn't significantly increase our knowledge of the extent (ie area and boundaries) of the castle; what the investigations did establish is that there is a greater depth of remains under the markets than was previously thought.

According to James Symonds, Executive Director of ARCUS, 2001.

"What our archaeological team have discovered is that there is a lot more of the castle surviving than we at first thought, and it is possible that there is a lot more remaining to be unearthed so we can establish the original layout of the building."

The recent digital 'reconstruction' of the castle by ARCUS http://arcus.group.shef.ac.uk/sheff_castle.php?p=cs seems to be based on what Armstrong found under Exchange street in 1927 rather than anything new.

Thank you Gray beard,

So I can take it that this is false then.

Excavations in 1999 and 2001 by ARCUS revealed the Castle to have been much larger than previously was thought....

PS

Mary queen of Scots was held in Sheffield for 14 yrs....

Which is longer then she spent in Scotland...

Edited by grinder

Well thanks to everyone for the potted history of England, not forgetting the Sheffield Castle but I think the answer to my original question is a hard one.

We do not looks as if no Viking artefacts have been dug up but there seems to be one or two ruins in the area.

Thankyou to everyone who has contributed.

PopT

Thank you Gray beard,

So I can take it that this is false then.

Excavations in 1999 and 2001 by ARCUS revealed the Castle to have been much larger than previously was thought....

No, it means what greybeard said, the remains they found indicated a much more substantial castle than had previously been thought, but not bigger in extent. Since both excavations were confined to exploratory trenches within the known boundaries of the castle, it is difficult to see how they could have meant bigger in extent.