Where did you have your first curry

It wasn't until the early 1980's that I had my first curry. It was at a restaurant called Mogal-E-Azam, which is still there now, behind the Theatre Royal in Nottingham. At the time I was entertaining professional clients, let's call them that, and they had suggested this place. It was, maybe still is, a good Indian restaurant - but I'd no idea what food to order. I was quite nervous about it to be honest because I'd always been a fussy eater with a limited diet and I didn't want to cause offence by not being able to eat anything!

I was lucky that my guests guided me. I had chicken tikka starter and a chicken korma main course. I thought it was ok. Nothing more. In fact I said I wouldn't go back again. Then a week later I was entertaining more clients and guess where they wanted to go? And the following week, and the week after that, more of the same.

I think within a month I'd come to appreciate that Indian food was nice. Within about 3 months I'd come to think it was the best food in the world - and it's still one of my favourites. Although I view chicken korma in particular as a bit of a beginners curry dish. I like it - but there are much better curries than that.

My favourite curry house in Sheff is Akbar's and I like the Roshan Lal - a spicy lamb curry, in particular.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the Ashoka on Eccy Rd. the old owner (Kamal) was amazing, he would remember what drinks and how many popadums you wanted every time you went. He also had a memory for faces like you wouldn't believe.

It was certainly my first experience of Indian food around 1973, I've been addicted ever since.

Archived