Your memories of the sheffield "tigers" speedway

JAP engines, Rotrax frames, open pipes, no silly silencers, the aroma of Castrol 'R', Rock and roll music on the PA system.

Where did it all go wrong??

JAP engines, Rotrax frames, open pipes, no silly silencers, the aroma of Castrol 'R', Rock and roll music on the PA system.

Where did it all go wrong??

We grew old Nimrod that's what went wrong, and I think you missed out the weird and wonderful handlebar designs that produced some weird and wonderful riding styles, or did the style produce the handlebars? Whenever I hear The Entry Of The Gladiators I am taken back to Sheffield Speedway but I can't remember if they played it at Belle Vue. Whenever I hear Will You Love Me Tomorrow By The Shirelles, one of my favourite songs i'm back at Belle Vue In the early sixties, whether it's because I first heard it there, or they always seemed to play it I don't know, but the memory sticks.

I was,nt a speedway enthusiast, but I did go a couple of times, I see there's lots of stories about Guy Allott but who was Tommy Allott? Obviously a relative, I know I'm going back many moons, but I recall, he seemed to be the 'star' at that time.

I was,nt a speedway enthusiast, but I did go a couple of times, I see there's lots of stories about Guy Allott but who was Tommy Allott? Obviously a relative, I know I'm going back many moons, but I recall, he seemed to be the 'star' at that time.
i think guy & tommy were uncle & nephew & 1 of them has a son or grandson named adam allott who rode for sheffield about 5 yr ago he's still owned by sheffield & i think he's riding for kings lynn 2nd string this season

We grew old Nimrod that's what went wrong, and I think you missed out the weird and wonderful handlebar designs that produced some weird and wonderful riding styles, or did the style produce the handlebars? Whenever I hear The Entry Of The Gladiators I am taken back to Sheffield Speedway but I can't remember if they played it at Belle Vue. Whenever I hear Will You Love Me Tomorrow By The Shirelles, one of my favourite songs i'm back at Belle Vue In the early sixties, whether it's because I first heard it there, or they always seemed to play it I don't know, but the memory sticks.
my first experience of belle vue in there new stadium in 91 i was mechanicing for peter & louis carr for sheffield, we had a brummy rider called neill evitts(good racer) i was talking with neill & shawn moran when a young lad only 7 or 8 came up & said shawn can i have your autograph please. shawn obliged & neill piped up "what about mine" the young lad looking rather puzzled said "who are tha". evitts were gobsmacked me & shawn p'd ourselves laughin,

Tommy Allott was Guy's older brother by some fourteen years and arguably the best of the clan. Guy was the father of Nicky, and Nicky the Father of Adam. Tommy was good enough in 1946 to reach the British Riders Championship that substituted for the world championship for three years after the war. Those competing were Tommy Allott, Eric Chitty, Malcolm Craven, Frank Hodgson, Bill Kitchen, Ron Johnson, Eric Langton, Jeff Lloyd, Wally Lloyd, Bill Longley, Jack Parker, Norman Parker, Ernie Price, Tommy Price, Bert Spencer, Alec Statham. Have no details of the result.

i think we might be missing another member of the allott clan, im sure there were uncles, nephews , son , grandson somewhere along the line

wasnt 1 of the allotts a decent grasstracker & never bothered with speedway?

Thanks for all your replies.-I don't know how many times they raced in a week but I remember Tommy Allott used to get his Stainless steel over shoe

(the one they stuck out going round the curves) repaired and the treads re-welded, it seemed every week because of the excessive wear. Every now and then he would bring his bike frames in for repair and sometimes customising also. By all accounts he was a really nice quiet man.

Found the result of 1946 British Riders Championship.

Tommy Price Wembley and England 15

Bill Kitchen Wembley and England 13

Jack Parker Belle Vue and England 12

Eric Langton Belle Vue and England 11

Malcolm Craven West Ham and England 10

Norman Parker Wimbledon and England 10

Eric Chitty West Ham and Canada 9

Frank Hodgson Middlesbrough and England 8

Ron Johnson New Cross and Australia 7

Bert Spencer Norwich and Australia 5

Wally Lloyd Belle Vue and England 5

Jeff Lloyd Newcastle and England 4

Bill Longley Bradford and Australia 4

Tommy Allott Sheffield and England 2

Ernie Price Bradford and England 2

Alec Statham Bradford and England 0 (retired after two rides owing to a foot injury)

Reserves: R. Clarke Bradford and England 2points from three rides and L. Goffe Wimbledon and England.

Used to go to Sheffield Speedway in the early 70s. Met my husband there. I can remember riders like Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, Jim Airey, Arnold Haley, Eric and Nigel Boocock, Ole Olson to name but a few. Went to a few away tracks, but thought Sheffield was the best. Happy days.

My dad, Alf Parker rode for the Tigers back in 1960. He was a good friend of both Tommy and Guy Allott. Dad had a bike shop on Spittal Hill at the time and I remember going with him to visit Tommy at his (cave like) repair shop on several occasions. I also remember Frank Varey, who I think was the team manager at the time.