Your memories of the sheffield "tigers" speedway

My cousin sent me some speedway memorabillia yesterday and in a Speedway pulication dated September 4 1964 it says "An Exchange of blows between Oxford's John Bishop and Norwich's Sandor Levai in Front of 3,ooo spectators after they had both crashed into the safety fence during the last race of the evening at Oxford on Thursday was not the only display of temprement. Levai scored 0, I remember him as a hard rider in fact dirty would not be inapropiate and if memory serves he was knocking on a bit when he started in British Speedway.

My cousin sent me some speedway memorabillia yesterday and in a Speedway pulication dated September 4 1964 it says "An Exchange of blows between Oxford's John Bishop and Norwich's Sandor Levai in Front of 3,ooo spectators after they had both crashed into the safety fence during the last race of the evening at Oxford on Thursday was not the only display of temprement. Levai scored 0, I remember him as a hard rider in fact dirty would not be inapropiate and if memory serves he was knocking on a bit when he started in British Speedway.
i think someones told me before that he was a bit of a dirty rider he must be in his late 60s now maybe early 70s

Sandor Levai Belle Vue guesting for Tigers Replacing the Injured Billy Bales. October 11 1966

Long Eaton 42 Sheffield 36

Long Eaton: R. Wilson 12 N. Storer 9 R. Cresp 9 V. White 6 N. Ringstrom 3 G. Kentwell 3 D. Newton 0

Sheffield: J. Dews 9 S. Levai 8 J. Kitchen 7 A. Haley 7 J Hart 4 E. Hockaday 1 B. Paulson 0

Ht 1: Wilson, Storer, Dews, Hockaday, Ht 2: Kitchen, White, Haley, Ringstrom, Ht 3: Cresp, Levai, Kentwell, Paulson, Ht 4: Storer, Hart, Hockaday, Newton, Ht 5: Haley, Kitchen, Cresp, Kentwell, Ht 6: Dews, White, Ringstrom, Hockaday ef, Ht 7: Wilson, Storer, Levai, Paulson, Ht 8: Haley, Hart, White, Newton, Ht 9: Cresp, Dews, Kentwell, Hockaday, Ht 10: Levai, Ringstrom, White, Paulson, Ht 11: Wilson, Storer, Kitchen Haley, Ht 12: Dews, Levai, Kentwell, Ringstrom, Ht 13: Wilson, Cresp, Kitchen, Hart,

A piece of trivia Long Eaton's Dennis Newton who failed to score in the above match broke the Owlerton track record in a World Championship Qualifying round in 1960 when he rode for the Norwich Stars.

Sandor Levai Newport and Norman Hunter Wolverhampton guesting for injury hit Newcastle. May 15 1969.

Sheffield 53 Newcastle 25

Sheffield: A Haley 12, B Paulson 12, J Airey 11, B Bales 8, B Maxted 5, D Baugh 3, J Dews 2,

Newcastle: N Hunter 9, S Levai 8, D Gifford 4, G Peterson 3, D schofield I, A Bridgett 0 A Knapkin 0,

Ht 1: Airey, Bales, Levai, Peterson, Ht 2: Maxted, Baugh, Schofield, Knapkin, Ht 3: Paulson, Hunter, Dews, Bridgett, Ht 4: Haley, Maxted, Gifford, Knapkin, Ht 5: Paulson Levai, Peterson, Dews, Ht 6: Airey, Bales, Gifford, Schofield, Ht 7: Haley, Levai, Hunter, Maxted, Ht 8: Bales, Gifford, Peterson, Baugh, Ht 9: Paulson, Hunter, Dews, Gifford, Ht 10: Airey, Hunter, Bales, Bridgett, Ht 11: Haley, Levai. Baugh, Peterson, Ht 12: Paulson, Airey, Peterson, Gifford, Ht13: Haley, Hunter, Levai, Dews,

My memories of the Tigers all come from the late sixties early seventies when my boyhood heroes were Doug Wyer, Reg Wilson and my particular favourite Jim Airey. I recall one evening when Belle Vue were the visitors when Jim was involved in a monumental tussle with Ivan Mauger (must have been a bit of the Aussie v Kiwi rivalry thing going on). If my memory serves me correctly Jim came out on top which elevated him to God like status in my eyes. Of the visiting riders I always like to watch Ole Olsen, don't know why maybe it was his style of riding.

My memories of the Tigers all come from the late sixties early seventies when my boyhood heroes were Doug Wyer, Reg Wilson and my particular favourite Jim Airey. I recall one evening when Belle Vue were the visitors when Jim was involved in a monumental tussle with Ivan Mauger (must have been a bit of the Aussie v Kiwi rivalry thing going on). If my memory serves me correctly Jim came out on top which elevated him to God like status in my eyes. Of the visiting riders I always like to watch Ole Olsen, don't know why maybe it was his style of riding.

Does anyone remember the "Silver Sash" ?

Does anyone remember the "Silver Sash" ?

Yes, It was the Provincial League equivalent of The Golden Helmet of the National League. The holder would defend it against the top scorer of their opponents in a three-way match race, after the team fixture had concluded.

I doubt there'll be many who can go as far back as I. I went to the Sheffield Speedway once. Late 40s, 1950 at latest. In the days of the great Jack Parker who captained the Manchester team. Can't remember who the Sheffield team were playing against but I remember they lost.

I doubt there'll be many who can go as far back as I. I went to the Sheffield Speedway once. Late 40s, 1950 at latest. In the days of the great Jack Parker who captained the Manchester team. Can't remember who the Sheffield team were playing against but I remember they lost.

http://www.motorsport-fanatic.co.uk/speedway-parker.htm

In the above link, it mentions the Golden Helmet I had mentioned in (30) and Parker repelled 19 challengers when he held the title.

Edited by CHAIRBOY

PAL215 you will probably remember most of the riders involved in this match October 4 1969.

Belle Vue 44 Sheffield 34

Belle Vue: I Mauger 11, S Sjosten 9, C Pusey 7, C Bailey 7, T Roper 5, M Hiftle 4, D Hemus 1

Sheffield: B Larsson 10, A Haley 10, J Airey 9, J Dews 2, R Wilson 2, D Baugh 1, D Wyer 0,

Ht 1: Airey, Mauger, Pusey, Baugh, Ht 2: Bailey, Hiftle, Wilson, Wyer, Ht 3: Sjosten, Haley, Bailey, Dews, Hemus exc, Ht 4: Larsson, Hiftle, Wilson, Roper ef, Ht 5: Airey, Sjosten, Hemus, Baugh, Ht 6: Mauger, Larsson, Pusey, Wyer, Ht 7: Haley, Roper, Dews, Bailey, Hiftle exc, Ht 8: Pusey, Bailey, Baugh, Wilson ef, Ht 9: Haley, Sjosten, Larsson, Hemus, Ht 10: Mauger, Pusey, Haley, Airey ef, Ht 11: Airey, Larsson, Bailey, Roper ef, Ht 12: Mauger, Larsson, Haley, Hemus ef, Ht 13: Roper, Sjosten, Dews Wilson f, Airey exc, Wilson and Wyer rode because Bales and Maxted were injured.

Edited by Sweatshopboy

Just checked out one of my favourites in that list - Soren Sjosten - whom I looked up and learned he had died ten years ago. Where does time go?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B6ren_Sj%C3%B6sten

Another Belle Vue rider Tommy Roper, was another Aces's rider who gave solid service to Sheffield and to Halifax.

i remember the morans, shawn & kelly making there debuts at owlerton they were great nights

Geoffusa some details i've found of the Silver Sash 1961.

April 6 Rick France Middlesbrough beat Stuart Hickman Sheffield, at Middlesbrough.

April !3 Dick Cambell Edinburgh beat Rick France Middlesbrough, at Middlesbrough.

April 15 Graham Warren Wolverhampton beat Dick Campbell Edinburgh, at Edinburgh.

April 27 Graham Warren Wolverhampton beat Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough, at Middlesbrough.

April 28 Graham Warren Wolverhamton Beat Brian Craven Stoke, at Wolverhampton.

May 5 Dick Campbell Edinburgh beat Graham Warren Wolverhampton, at Wolverhampton.

May 6 Dick Campbell Edinburgh beat Jack Scott Plymouth, at Edinburgh.

May 20 Dick Campbell Edinburgh beat Ivor Brown Cradley Heath, at Edinburgh.

June 3 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Dick Campbell Edinburgh, at Cradley Heath.

June 10 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Clive Featherby Sheffield, at Cradley Heath.

June 12 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Don Wilkinson Newcastle, at Newcastle.

July 15 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Rick France Middlesbrough, at Cradley Heath.

July 20 Ray Harris Stoke Beat Ivor Brown Cradley Heath, at Stoke.

July 22 Doug Templeton Edinburgh beat Ray Harris Stoke, at Edinburgh.

July 27 Guy Allott Sheffield beat Doug Templeton Edinburgh, at Sheffield.

August 7 Gil Goldfinch Newcastle beat Tony Robinson Sheffield, at Newcastle.

August 10 Tommy Roper Middlesbrough beat Gil Goldfinch Newcastle, at Middlesbrough.

August 17 Tommy Roper Middlesbrough beat Wayne Briggs Edinburgh, at Middlesbrough.

August 19 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough beat Doug Templeton Edinburgh, at Edinburgh.

August 21 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough beat Gil Goldfinch Newcastle, at Newcastle.

August 24 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough beat Eric Hockaday Stoke, at Middlesbrough.

August 31 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough Beat Bob Thomas Rayleigh, at Middlesbrough.

September 7 Gil Goldfinch Newcastle Beat Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough, at Middlesbrough.

September 9 Ken Adams Stoke Beat Gil Goldfinch Newcastle, at Stoke.