Your memories of the sheffield "tigers" speedway

would love to hear your news & views of the tigers no matter how old or recent your memories are

I would like to praise Tony Robinsons efforts for the Tigers in the early sixties. I have dug out my copy of Owlerton Legends by Matthew Jackson and Paul Rickett and I am amazed, as I was when I first read it that Robbo only gets about a quarter of a page while Clive Featherby gets two whole pages. I don't decry Featherby's contribution to the cause but I do think Robbo's efforts should be acclaimed more. If it wasn't for Belle Vue's generosity in loaning the Tigers Tony Robinson And Jack Kitchen for the 1960 season we would have been in a sorry state and may have been forced to close like the unfortunate Bradford side after one season. Robbo with a 9.6 average and to a lesser extent Kitchen with a 7.6 average carried the team that year and gave the big crowds something to cheer about, so lets have a Tiger roar for the forgotten man of Sheffield Speedway Tony Robinson.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1731/mybucket008.jpg

Tony Robinson in the Owlerton pits 1960.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3432/mybucket009.jpg

Tony Robinson in Belle Vue race jacket.

Edited by Sweatshopboy

I would like to praise Tony Robinsons efforts for the Tigers in the early sixties. I have dug out my copy of Owlerton Legends by Matthew Jackson and Paul Rickett and I am amazed, as I was when I first read it that Robbo only gets about a quarter of a page while Clive Featherby gets two whole pages. I don't decry Featherby's contribution to the cause but I do think Robbo's efforts should be acclaimed more. If it wasn't for Belle Vue's generosity in loaning the Tigers Tony Robinson And Jack Kitchen for the 1960 season we would have been in a sorry state and may have been forced to close like the unfortunate Bradford side after one season. Robbo with a 9.6 average and to a lesser extent Kitchen with a 7.6 average carried the team that year and gave the big crowds something to cheer about, so lets have a Tiger roar for the forgotten man of Sheffield Speedway Tony Robinson.

There you have it, a Robinson maximum!

http://www.sheffield-tigers.co.uk/stokepl23071960.html

Haven't talked to you for a long time Chairboy, I take it you were a Robbo fan?

I've only been to Speedway once in my life.....I was living in Poole at the time and it was Poole Pirates v Sheffield Tigers. I didn't know who to shout for did I....my new town or my old .....

Haven't talked to you for a long time Chairboy, I take it you were a Robbo fan?

I like people and sportspersons who are good at their jobs, know what they are doing, are reliable and deliver preferably without histrionics! Robinson would have come into those categories. I had a look back at the extended link and you were right, very few people mentioned him which is why I posted the 'maximum' to back up your point. I found Provincial League a pale shadow of the National League performers but Tony could more than hold his own in that sphere (Belle Vue).

Edited by CHAIRBOY

I've only been to Speedway once in my life.....I was living in Poole at the time and it was Poole Pirates v Sheffield Tigers. I didn't know who to shout for did I....my new town or my old .....

Dare I ask the year? Tony Lewis, Ken Middleditch, Pirates of the 60s?

1960 I think can't recall any of the names though :hihi:

1960 I think can't recall any of the names though :hihi:

Pity and more so that you only went once. Those were good times for Poole after the Knott family took over and they won the Provincial League title in 1961 and 1962 - helped by the two previous names and also Ross Gilbertson and Geoff Mudge.

One riders stick out in my mind Dougie Wyer in the 70s +

I once went out on a rideout with him on his road bike a few years ago.

He could certainly ride that too,quick but safe!!!!

One riders stick out in my mind Dougie Wyer in the 70s +

I once went out on a rideout with him on his road bike a few years ago.

He could certainly ride that too,quick but safe!!!!

See Dougie now and then down at smc bikes, he rides an hyabusa..Fastest production rd bike in the world.!

I keep joking that as long as there left hand bends he's cool...But on a right hand bend.???..he gets the joke ...decent guy all round. And yes he is a fast rider.!

jt