Buying a house Solicitors fees, anyone know whos cheapest?

Just buying a house and got to find a Solicitor to do the paperwork transfers and search and all that, had one quote so far for £745 and wondering if thats about fair or does anyone know of any cheaper ones?

its a fairly simple purchase from family with no chain and I am already living in the house.

That sounds pricey to me. It's nearly 3 years since I bought my house, but the total fees were just under £500 I think. I used Catherine Copley at Watson Esam - they were recommended to me and I was very happy with the service I got. They were also the cheapest of a few places I tried, including some online conveyancing companies. Often they look cheap, but when you read the small print, there's a whole host of extras they charge you for.

http://www.watson-esam.co.uk/conveyancing.htm

Hi try Coates they are based in sheffield and can be found on the internet. They were cheaper than any others I found but that was a few years ago so things may have changed. They were nice to deal with and I would use them again.

Just buying a house and got to find a Solicitor to do the paperwork transfers and search and all that, had one quote so far for £745 and wondering if thats about fair or does anyone know of any cheaper ones?

its a fairly simple purchase from family with no chain and I am already living in the house.

That seems a reasonable quote be very very careful about going for the cheapest quote you may end up with poor service and may even lose the property.

Hi can i ask does that price include searches and surveyer?

How much are you paying for the house? I'm buying a comparatively cheap house and so far solicitors fees and survey have cost nearly £800. I could probably have got them cheaper but when looking for a solicitor I asked the people i knew who had recently bought a house if their solicitor was any good not if they were cheap. A house is probably going to be the biggest purchase of your life ad is a stressful enough process anyway so it's probably better to shell out an extra couple of hundred and have a smooth and high quality service than skimp and get a shoddy service.

the house is worth 135k i am buying for 120k, already living in it, so not really over bothered if it takes a cheaper company a few extra weeks to sort it out as its no real delay to me, so long as the cross all the T's and dot all the I's

Hi try Coates they are based in sheffield and can be found on the internet. They were cheaper than any others I found but that was a few years ago so things may have changed. They were nice to deal with and I would use them again.

Another thumbs up for Coates from me! They were cheap and efficient with my legal work.

Edited by NickM
typo

is it a transfer or purchase?

will the seller be paying separate fees to own solicitor?

if you have been living in house for a while and know the seller personally, it might be worthwhile to have it transferred into your name.

Another thumbs up for Coates from me! They were cheap and efficient with my legal work.

Another :thumbsup: for coates, they were not only really quick and efficient but the cheapest around.

We also used Coates a couple of years ago and had no problems at all. They were very reasonable and just got the job done.

We are using Coates, can confirm by far the cheapest, yet to see what their service is like. Do seem a friendly bunch.