British Gas should be ashamed

The top suppliers have to help people on lower incomes but are a bit shy in telling people what they are entitled to.

TemptressUK gave this web address for further info http://www.energychoices.co.uk/social-tariffs.html.

The info on the site is good but the price checker, like all the others, is commission based so cant be trusted. This has been covered by which in its February 2009 issue.

Have alook at the which website or magazine for best utility suppliers.

It costs £1 per month to register for which online or a 3 magazine promotion for £3.

When you do transfer they pull every trick going to stop you leaving.

Edited by kipper

If people pay in full and on time then they won't have a problem.

:thumbsup:

As said above, old people receive an allowance that should cover their heating bills.

Was wondering about that myself. This lady being over 80 will have received a winter fuel payment of £400 in November, she has it seems no central heating - just a gas fire and gas cooker.

That's no excuse for the behaviour of British Gas of course, but it does highlight the fact that many old people living alone need independent and trustworthy help with their budgeting.

Just seen LookLeeds story about Annie Gray 85 year old living on the abourthorne estate. She owes BG £100 and they badgered bullied her to tears. Threatening with bailiffs and legal action.

I was upset and horrified such a huge company could be so insensitive.

What are they playing at?

Tell that to the computer which automatically generates mail...

Seems like BG customer service leaves a little to be desired, however I am sure the people who were contacting her were just doing their job. Perhaps I am naive, but £100 to owe does not sound like a massive amount of money to me, even if the lady is over 80, as other's have said she should get a fuel allowance.

I recently got a nasty letter from a solicitor representing a different supplier about an outstanding gas amount from a house I moved out of a year ago. I was stupid and cancelled my direct debit before the account was cleared and then forgot about it. So I held my hand up, said I owed the money and arranged payment over a couple of months.

Sometime these things happen, unfortunately if you use the gas/electric at a property you have to pay for it, even if you don't like the idea or if you are 80 odd. A supplier cannot be held responsible for the amount of fuel used by a customer.

I feel a little sorry for the lady, but I don't think it is such a terrible thing.

Edited by archaeobard

Please accept my plaudits all you people who have offered to pay this old lady's arrears, it brings back my faith in human kind, a good job all round, well done!

:hihi::hihi::hihi: you are joking???!!!!

will you pay my arrears off? nahhh dint think so

I get NO benefits and no £400 fuel allowance at Xmas

Like I sed afore....an they say young uns dont get priorities right

Sorry...but pensioners have more than enough money to pay their bills....highlighting stories like this in the media is like " ohh someone might feel sorry for me and pay my bill, then maybe I can still go to bingo/pub etc etc etc"

Ebico are also very good and cheap. Its a non profit group.

We're with ebico and all of the people that come knocking and asking us to change suppliers saying they are the cheapest look a little stupid when they admit they can't do it as cheap as them. I had BG knocking at the door and practically forced their way into my hallway when i answered the door. I rang BG who's reply was "they don't work for us, we can't do anything about it."