British Gas should be ashamed

"In other news, British Gas were criticised yesterday for sending a bill to a customer without bothering to check her age and financial status first."

To an extent I agree with you. Its a much better idea for people on a low income to pay for things like gas and electric in equal payments across the year. Unfortunately, some don't understand about direct debits and many won't even have a bank account - and still rely on cash.

I've been clearing my 96 year old uncle's house and he's now in the same care home as his wife of 75 years (thank goodness) - none of his immediate family live in the UK, I'm the nearest - 300 miles away - he had all his gas, electric and other bills set up on monthly payments. So age is really no excuse in lots of cases.

Although the winter fuel payment (£400 for over 80s) is to pay for heating, some won't be putting it aside for that. Just like some who get extra payments to pay for help don't use it for the purpose either.

To an extent I agree with you. Its a much better idea for people on a low income to pay for things like gas and electric in equal payments across the year. Unfortunately, some don't understand about direct debits and many won't even have a bank account - and still rely on cash.

I've been clearing my 96 year old uncle's house and he's now in the same care home as his wife of 75 years (thank goodness) - none of his immediate family live in the UK, I'm the nearest - 300 miles away - he had all his gas, electric and other bills set up on monthly payments. So age is really no excuse in lots of cases.

Although the winter fuel payment (£400 for over 80s) is to pay for heating, some won't be putting it aside for that. Just like some who get extra payments to pay for help don't use it for the purpose either.

We are on a low income, not because neither of us work but because my husband only works part time as he is my carer. We don't pay by direct debit because we are on a pre-payment metre. We had no choice when it came to that because when we moved in it was already there and most houses on here have the same. When we moved in we were told the only way we could have the metre changed was if we paid for it doing. (we were with powergen then and don't know if it costs with every supplier to have it changed)

We are on a low income, not because neither of us work but because my husband only works part time as he is my carer. We don't pay by direct debit because we are on a pre-payment metre. We had no choice when it came to that because when we moved in it was already there and most houses on here have the same. When we moved in we were told the only way we could have the metre changed was if we paid for it doing. (we were with powergen then and don't know if it costs with every supplier to have it changed)

The plus side is you won't build up big bills, but the real negative is you pay more for every unit of gas/electric on a prepayment meter. But for people on ordinary meters, paying monthly is better budgeting than being faced with a huge bill after 3 months.

The plus side is you won't build up big bills, but the real negative is you pay more for every unit of gas/electric on a prepayment meter. But for people on ordinary meters, paying monthly is better budgeting than being faced with a huge bill after 3 months.

We actually pay less than most people on ordinary metres because with ebico you pay the same as the customers who are on ordinary metres and i challange you to find anyone cheaper with gas at 3.44p per kWh including vat and electicity (for my area) at 13.91p per kWh. (for sheffield your looking at 14.07p per kWh for electricity)

We actually pay less than most people on ordinary metres because with ebico you pay the same as the customers who are on ordinary metres and i challange you to find anyone cheaper with gas at 3.44p per kWh including vat and electicity (for my area) at 13.91p per kWh. (for sheffield your looking at 14.07p per kWh for electricity)

Excellent - I'd stick with that then - especially if its a token meter, as you won't need to keep cash to feed it. It wasn't clear from your original post that you liked it, most folk complain about the extra cost of prepayments. I'm happy with my monthly payments, so I don't feel the need for a challenge, ta all the same. ;)

Excellent - I'd stick with that then - especially if its a token meter, as you won't need to keep cash to feed it. It wasn't clear from your original post that you liked it, most folk complain about the extra cost of prepayments. I'm happy with my monthly payments, so I don't feel the need for a challenge, ta all the same. ;)

Someone from a "we can find you a better tarrif" place rang doing checks to see if they could find us a better taffif but had to admit they couldn't find one cheaper. When we moved from BG they tried allsorts to keep us with them even suggesting we had been tricked into switching and if we didn't contact them to confirm that we had actually chosen to switch then they would try to cancel it. (don't know if they can actually do this though)