Haunted Hospitals

The old Vickers wards at the NGH (almost demolished) have many ghost stories attached to them. Having 'learned the job' on those old wards and worked many years on the night shift on most of them - there are many 'stories' to be told.

I saw no ghosts at The Northern General, but saw startling scenes of old people dying, who would suddenly sit up in bed, hold out their hand towards the door, or shake hands with an unseen person. Nurses saw this so many times we didnt even mention it after a while. Not spooky but very spiritual.:)

My sister was working in a hospital when a huge bird (a crow or a rook) flew in through the window and landed on a patient's bed. It stayed there for a while and then flew back out the window. When the staff went to the patient they saw that she had just died.

I worked on an elderly care ward years ago and a similar thing happened but on that occasion it was a blind and usually imobile patient who suddenly got up out of her chair and walked over to a patient on the other side of the ward and climbed into bed with her. We legged it down the ward as this lady was not only blind and suffering with dementia, but up until then hadn't walked in months. Not only were we amazed with what she'd done but were very suprised to find her lying in the other patient's bed, cuddling her and the other patient had died. The lady was too demented to be able to tell us why she did it and she never walked again.

I saw no ghosts at The Northern General, but saw startling scenes of old people dying, who would suddenly sit up in bed, hold out their hand towards the door, or shake hands with an unseen person. Nurses saw this so many times we didnt even mention it after a while. Not spooky but very spiritual.:)

Hi Pat! I've witnessed this too on more than one occasion. I remember one elderly lady who was in the final minutes of life - whilst I was attending to her, she opened her eyes and her stare was focussed over my shoulder at the corner of the room behind me. She smiled and held her arms out towards the corner shortly before she passed away. I have always liked to believe that someone she had loved came to 'collect' her from this life.

Spiritual not spooky.

Edited by Daven
addy

My sister was working in a hospital when a huge bird (a crow or a rook) flew in through the window and landed on a patient's bed. It stayed there for a while and then flew back out the window. When the staff went to the patient they saw that she had just died.

I worked on an elderly care ward years ago and a similar thing happened but on that occasion it was a blind and usually imobile patient who suddenly got up out of her chair and walked over to a patient on the other side of the ward and climbed into bed with her. We legged it down the ward as this lady was not only blind and suffering with dementia, but up until then hadn't walked in months. Not only were we amazed with what she'd done but were very suprised to find her lying in the other patient's bed, cuddling her and the other patient had died. The lady was too demented to be able to tell us why she did it and she never walked again.

I too have seen extraordinary scenes like this. Patients who have been unconcious for weeks suddenly sitting up and pointing towards an unseen person at the door. A butterfly flying in through an open window and landing gently on a dying person, and staying there all day.

Hi Pat! I've witnessed this too on more than one occasion. I remember one elderly lady who was in the final minutes of life - whilst I was attending to her, she opened her eyes and her stare was focussed over my shoulder at the corner of the room behind me. She smiled and held her arms out towards the corner shortly before she passed away. I have always liked to believe that someone she had loved came to 'collect' her from this life.

Spiritual not spooky.

Ive never talked about this before except to other nurses, but it does make you wonder doesnt it. They DO see someone or something. Is it God or a relative who has come to "collect" them.? I will never be afraid of dying now.

The staff at the NGH clock tower building complained so much about seeing ghosts in the basement, that a priest was called in to exorcise the place not too many years ago.

I think this happened on one of the Vickers wards which has now been demolished. It was in the mid 70's - shortly before I started my nurse training. I was led to believe that it was a poltergeist that was fond of emptying the crockery cupboard in the kitchen and smashing the contents on the floor in the middle of the night !

I think this happened on one of the Vickers wards which has now been demolished. It was in the mid 70's - shortly before I started my nurse training. I was led to believe that it was a poltergeist that was fond of emptying the crockery cupboard in the kitchen and smashing the contents on the floor in the middle of the night !

Sounds like my old matron on one of her " inspections" !!!:hihi::hihi:

Sounds like my old matron on one of her " inspections" !!!:hihi::hihi:

:hihi:Nice one !

:hihi:Nice one !

Now if they were around today.................................:rolleyes:

Now if they were around today.................................:rolleyes:

Oooh ! We do have Matrons but they don't throw crockery around very often !

they are Modern Matrons

Thanks for the info!:rolleyes: