Canteen, Crosspool

tessashark

Richard Smith's new venture, that used to be Catch. We thought we'd try it for lunch yesterday but were very disappointed.

The biggest issue for me was over zealous use of salt - my side salad was totally dripping in dressing and was so salty that I couldn't eat it and my son's children's meal also came with chips that were quite heavily pre-salted. I did tell the manager about the salad but nothing happened (thought I might get a new one?)

When the menu states X&Chips, that is literally what you get on the plate not a hint of a lettuce leaf or a vegetable - what we got looked like a Gilian McKeith "before" plate - everything was brown!!

My other gripe was the service - the floor manager was generally pretty clueless and both he and the waitress had that amazing ability that drives me bonkers in restaurants - to scan the room and yet not notice the customer practically hopping up and down in their chair trying to catch their attention! So the service was pretty slow and it was v difficult to ask for anything, including the bill.

I know it's early days and am sorry to be negative as I am generally a fan of RS's venues - especially Thyme Cafe but think I will be giving Canteen a wide berth for the foreseeable.

I am generally a fan of RS's venues - especially Thyme Cafe

Me too and am really sorry that this place doesn't sound too impressive, especially as I was a big fan of Catch. Was there any opportunity for you to give them feedback? (I know they ignored your comment about the salad!)

Well we went the Friday evening of its opening week and the food was on the whole good - wouldn't go for the meatballs mind you - OH couldn't finish them as there wasn't much sauce. Service was also very attentive and although busy we didn't have a problem getting the manager or waiter over.

The only thing lacking - atmosphere. Just isn't that nice - lighting too bright! Bring back the lovely drapped room of many years ago when it was part of the main restaurant still! Or make it more cosy/bar like in nature.

I'd give it another go, but wouldn't go there for a special occasion.

Well we went the Friday evening of its opening week and the food was on the whole good - wouldn't go for the meatballs mind you - OH couldn't finish them as there wasn't much sauce. Service was also very attentive and although busy we didn't have a problem getting the manager or waiter over.

The only thing lacking - atmosphere. Just isn't that nice - lighting too bright! Bring back the lovely drapped room of many years ago when it was part of the main restaurant still! Or make it more cosy/bar like in nature.

I'd give it another go, but wouldn't go there for a special occasion.

You will struggle to get atmosphere in converted old upstairs rooms, we found Catch had the same problem as well as a young inexperienced chef.Also what a lot of people who run restuarants do not seem to understand,is that you cannot rely on staff to act as front of house,and when no one in particular seems to be in charge,the atmosphere evaporates and customers feel a little uneasy.Customers like to feel the presence of someone with their finger on the button,on the two occasions we visited Catch this was not happening so we had no further visits........................maybe it's different at the Canteen,but we will await further feedback before risking a visit. Edited by mossdog

You will struggle to get atmosphere in converted old upstairs bedrooms! we found Catch had the same problem as well as a young inexperienced chef.Also what a lot of people who run restuarants do not seem to understand,is that you cannot rely on staff to act as front of house,and when no one in particular seems to be in charge,the atmosphere evaporates and customers feel a little uneasy.Customers like to feel the presence of someone with their finger on the button,on the two occasions we visited Catch this was not happening so we had no further visits........................maybe it's different at the Canteen,but we will await further feedback before risking a visit.

When was it a bedroom? i think prior to Thyme / Smiths it was also a restaurant and prior to that it was a co-op and a co-op butchers, the upstairs being the stockroom and staff canteen.

When was it a bedroom? i think prior to Thyme / Smiths it was also a restaurant and prior to that it was a co-op and a co-op butchers, the upstairs being the stockroom and staff canteen.
Yes I think you are right! I should have said upstairs rooms instead of bedrooms!

Richard Smith's new venture, that used to be Catch. We thought we'd try it for lunch yesterday but were very disappointed.

The biggest issue for me was over zealous use of salt - my side salad was totally dripping in dressing and was so salty that I couldn't eat it and my son's children's meal also came with chips that were quite heavily pre-salted. I did tell the manager about the salad but nothing happened (thought I might get a new one?)

When the menu states X&Chips, that is literally what you get on the plate not a hint of a lettuce leaf or a vegetable - what we got looked like a Gilian McKeith "before" plate - everything was brown!!

My other gripe was the service - the floor manager was generally pretty clueless and both he and the waitress had that amazing ability that drives me bonkers in restaurants - to scan the room and yet not notice the customer practically hopping up and down in their chair trying to catch their attention! So the service was pretty slow and it was v difficult to ask for anything, including the bill.

I know it's early days and am sorry to be negative as I am generally a fan of RS's venues - especially Thyme Cafe but think I will be giving Canteen a wide berth for the foreseeable.

Why don't you tell them and give them the opportunity to do something about it which will be better for everyone.