Sheffield City Council pay and grading review

I got my letter and Im with dicky_doodle! I feel like im being threatened and strong armed to sign that letter! I wouldnt send a letter like that to anyone, especially an employee that has been doing a good job for many years! Its disgraceful and im offended by that rubbish letter! It puts fear into people and that can not be 'Investing in People.' That's making people miserable.

Edited by Hecate
formatting

I haven't even received my letter yet and I keep chasing it and I get the same answer from the helpline all the time!!!

Send them back SIGNED you know its the correct thing to do.

We are all lucky to have such good jobs in these hard times.

Hey, hate to be defeatist, but do we really have a choice, the management know they have us by the ********. We can’t afford to fight and the management know this. Look at Leeds in my limited knowledge of politics and Union’s V ’s Management I think the message is clear, (it’ll be costly and messy for the ordinary worker) Also in many council departments, Agencies are fully setup and running just itching for us to strike, so as to step in and prolong any strike action with the view to gaining further contracts.

Sorry to pass my limited knowledge / negative point of view across, but in my opinion this is a battle the ordinary worker cannot afford to fight, and the people in the know are fully aware of this.

No I haven’t signed yet, fuming at letter and the way employees are being treated not just in our jobs, but all throughout Britain. It won’t be long before we’re queuing at the gates each morning so they can pick whom they want for the day in Britain at this rate.

Arrh, well moan over, but I did manage to keep it clean.

(Typed with Gritted Teeth)

I feel the union has let people down. Too many members feel there's been a lack of advice and out on a limb.

Edited by Darth Vader

I feel the union has let people down. Too many members feel there's been a lack of advice and out on a limb.

I agree, we have had no contact from anyone to give us any help or information, we didn't even know the letters were on their way until we got them! Oh we did get a letter from the union before we got them but as we had no idea they were on their way I didn't understand what they were on about.

We have signed ours & sent them back, I know we should stand together but when no one is giving us info or support it is very difficult to know what to do for the best. The only communication we have had is from the council who obviously are saying sign them. If the union wants us to stand together & not sign them then they should have had the reps going around speaking to us. I am not sure what support others have had from the union in understanding this matter but we have had none at all .

I feel for the people who it affects & think it is very unfair & i will support them in any way the union asks .

The last Unison meeting for council staff that I attended was back in 2005 I think, before I retired. It had to be abandoned because it wasn't quorate. Basically, only a couple of members had bothered to turn up. Have the meetings been well attended since this review began?

yep me **** him, dont sign it ! They cant do NOTHING as if you turn up for work April 1 then you are accepting the new terms anyway, they are just bullying us and I intend to make it as difficult as possible for them.

I would check this out before you decide not to sign it. During the 'consultation' road shows, I asked the question about pay protection and what would happen if you didn't sign the letter. The answer was that if you don't sign the letter, you lose the pay protection. I certainly can't afford to lose the pay protection!

as i understand it, if you don't sign the letter you won't be included in the appeals process.

I've had my reminder. I'm just composing a highly sarcastic letter back to Mr Mothersole. I guess we'll never win when people cave in straight away.

I can see peoples point (those on the old pay scale), if i were in their situation then i'd be fighting to keep my contract too.

However, as a level 3 TA who works 8-4, planning and delivering lessons, it is really annoying to know that level 2 TA's (Nothing personal) who work 8:30-3 for only 4 days a week actually get paid more than me! Especially when i get paid for and work 40 weeks and they get paid for 52 weeks and work 39. :mad:

Why call the helplines - they don't seem to be getting kept up to date, why not call Scriven and Mothersole's office.

Forumer, you are really proving that the powers that be really couldn't give a stuff about the staff, you only ever come on here to belittle people. I think they should make you and efficiency saving to help fund the payrises that have resulted from this.

On the subject of the pay rises. The papers had something in about the social and economic divide widening in Sheffield, the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer, Scriven's was blaming Labour for this, well under his Pay and Grading, most of the people gaining are highly paid and most of the people losing out are lowly paid - he's the one causing this divide, this process wouldn't be going the way it is if he wasn't signing it off.