Is it wrong to use the word 'coloured' to describe a black person?

Is it wrong to describe a black person as coloured?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is it wrong to describe a black person as coloured?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Leading on from a discussion, I would be interested to know if you think it's right or wrong to describe a black person as coloured.

This is an interesting question.

I have often wondered why when trying to describe a person (white) the first thing you would say is probably their height, hair colour etc but when trying to describe a person (coloured) you would probably say they were coloured, before going on to describe anything else. Is it wrong to do this? Would a "coloured" person be offended or upset by being described in this way.

It is very difficult subject, in this day and age you have to be so careful with what you say, so as not to offend someone.

I wouldn't do it.

It's the kind of expression my rather unenlightened grandparents would use, to be honest. We've moved on.

Yes it, is as everyone is couloured, e.g i am white, but wouldnt be liked to be called a coloured person, if they are black......i am sure they would like to be called black.

i have asian friends and believe it or not -it dosnt bother them, they laugh at all this political correctness. the people it bothers are white people who think they need to bn certain words .

unless you are my mother and too stupid to stop...then yes it is wrong.

It's doubly wrong if, like her, you don't actually say it but just mouth it instead in a Les Dawson kinda way

I just say things like 'black', 'asian', 'oriental' because coloured always makes me think of the Deep South and I'm sure it's not the done thing now.

If you're describing someone, say you want to post up about someone doing something dodgy or a missing person, then it makes no sense to avoid saying their colour just to be PC as like it or not, we all have a colour! But likewise it makes no sense to describe only black people that way and assume if you do not mention their colour then everyone else will assume they are white.

I think I would only actually bristle if someone used a word like the N word though - a lot of old people say 'coloured' and mean no harm by it.

Well it beats "******", but what's wrong with just plain "black"?

Probably "black" will be deemed abusive in future years and some convoluted term will be concocted.

my mate says when he looks in the mirror -he sees a black bloke ,so thats what he prefers to be called.

I would use the term black. I was speaking to an old friend the other day who is now dating a black guy from Birmingham. He says coloured people and also half cast! I was shocked as I thought these terms were a little rude and weird, but he and loads of other of his friends use the term!

I'll stick to saying black I think. That said we place too much weight on colour and also the terms we used are way off. Black!?!?!? Really? White? I'm not white I am pink and yellow due to high levels of alcohol damage in my body but not white.