Hillsborough Leisure Centre refuses entry to single father with kids

Zebra

It's got nothing to do with him being a single father - talk about sensationalising a rather dull and old story!!

I'd have thought it common sense that one adult can't really adequately supervise two non-swimmers. Hasn't everyone known about this for years? I have loads of mummy friends who can't take their kids swimming at the same time. Although I don't know many who'd want to lol!

When learning to swim at school I and about 30 others (majority non swimmers) were supervised by about 3 adults.

i think parents should be allowed to make decisions and if something happens it should be on their head! perhaps the venue could set their own 1:1 safety rule but ask parents who wish to take 2:1 could sign a disclaimer saying they are happy to take the risk and will not sue the venue?

I'd agree, except that you will always get an idiot who wants to take two children who cannot swim and you've got to admit that you can't properly teach two little non-swimmers when they're all hyper about going to the baths! It's a lot different if both kids can swim.

Plus even if people signed a disclaimer it would make the facility look very bad if it was all over the papers that a little child had drowned there.

I read this in the star last night, and I think its hideous how they wouldn't let the man in with his children and i can understand what he said about the fact, that when the pool is open for family time, its during normal working hours. But i can also see why the pool wouldn't let him in, but i think they could give some leniance!! x

I couldn't take my eldest son (who at 7 had a level 2 swimming certificate so was classed as a swimmer) together with his younger brother to Hillsborough. I do understand why they do it for non swimmers, but can't understand why they wouldn't allow me to take both a swimmer and non-swimmer together especially since it doesn't seem to be the councils take on things. What happens if you have an over 8 year old who is a non-swimmer and a younger child - you can quite happily take them both in which is crazy really.

It's got nothing to do with him being a single father - talk about sensationalising a rather dull and old story!!

I'd have thought it common sense that one adult can't really adequately supervise two non-swimmers. Hasn't everyone known about this for years? I have loads of mummy friends who can't take their kids swimming at the same time. Although I don't know many who'd want to lol!

So how do you propose someone would teach two kids to swim? I've got twins and their father works ridiculous shifts and doesn't swim, which leaves me in a position to take on the responsibility.

I plan to take my children, when it see fit, and with the understanding that they'll be with me in suitable depths according to height or with one on the side and one in with me. I can adequately supervise my own kids with buckets of common sense, but the nanny state seems to think otherwise.

I think the issue is the compensation cultures.

The truth is out of 10,0000000 parents, most would not entertain the compensation culture out of embarrasement, however its that one parent who spoils it for everyone.

Until we rid ourselves of the health and safety/blame culture, things will never get better

So how do you propose someone would teach two kids to swim? I've got twins and their father works ridiculous shifts and doesn't swim, which leaves me in a position to take on the responsibility.

I plan to take my children, when it see fit, and with the understanding that they'll be with me in suitable depths according to height or with one on the side and one in with me. I can adequately supervise my own kids with buckets of common sense, but the nanny state seems to think otherwise.

Just a few ideas.

Leave one at home with Dad, teach them seperately (one on Fridays one on Tuesdays).

Take Dad, he stays in the shallow end where he can stand up but a child cannot.

Pay for lessons.

There are probably more options, but all these are possible.

Just a few ideas.

Leave one at home with Dad, teach them seperately (one on Fridays one on Tuesdays).

Take Dad, he stays in the shallow end where he can stand up but a child cannot.

Pay for lessons.

There are probably more options, but all these are possible.

Or, possibly... let the parent decide the safest option. Ensure that the pool is properly staffed with competent lifeguards, just in case.

I took both my girls swimming from an early age, on my own. It really isn't a problem if you use the best flotation devices available. However, kids in the sea, on holiday with no experience of swimming in a safe environment ... that is a problem.

Kids need to learn to swim. It is the purpose of or local pools to make sure that this happens. The pools need to be properly staffed, and parents need to accept their responsibility. If these two things happen, then there really isn't a need for this blatant discrimination.