Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

Originally posted by mickyhix

damn right, i live there. my brother and i cycle up and down the old mam tor road every sunday morning. lol.

I take it you have a mountain bike can you cycle all the way up as the last time I did it it was quite difficult as I kept running out of road :)

Originally posted by mickyhix

my brother and i cycle up and down the old mam tor road every sunday morning. lol.

It's an easy ride up, that one! It winds around really gently, not like Winnats.

I've done the Mam Tor road many times on my overweight, single-ring b*tch of a playbike.

Theres some nice 40MPH launches and drops if you let gravity take over and you ride back down though...

I know the hill you mean, it's almost opposite the chip oil on Trafalgar Road. It goes up to Parsons Cross Road. There is a road in Grenoside that starts at Halifax Road and goes up to the main Street. When I was a bus driver back in 1963, in order to get a move on up the hill, we had to change from 1st to 2nd gear by rammin the gear lever into 2nd without using the clutch. Same thing on the hill across Neepsend Lane from Corporation Street baths. That would have been the #110 bus.

Some interesting names cropped up in this post - maybe of no further interest now but Kent Road Heeley - yes very steep!- used to know a guy who lived there called Gavin who was known as the 'squire of Heeley' - kept horses and rode them in the area, also had some wonderful horse drawn coaches that he bought from Ireland and refurbished - he used to lecture at SHU.

There is a very steep hill that runs up to Tofts Lane off Rivelin Valley road - don't know the name but it is very short - probably only 100 yds long and has a pub at the top.

The 'J' mentioned earlier could be 'Jenkin' Rd but not exceptionally steep.

Twentywell Lane brings back many memories - especially the Casle Inn - spent many happy hours there and sold many framed photographs which Bill allowed me to hang there.

Cobnar Rd at Woodseats is no longer accessible - unless you live there I believe but is very steep.

Vin

pete 1024,a few of my mates go up blake street,after doing big rides on sat/sun!and likei said it may be steep,but it aint long!

and by big i mean cleathorpes and back,whitby and back although whitbys over a weekend,and they always go up there.

Never heard them moan tho!

cheers

jt