How far will Sheffield house prices drop?

No, for this

You're dog isn't too hot on what's happening is it, I'd stop taking it's advice if I were you.

Lag does work both ways, and in 9 months time that might matter.

like I said - if you didnt click through the link (and tbh it could have been anything knowing sham) but just read "land registry" then the post it was an easy mistake to read it as

"repo`s dont need to be declared to the registry........"

and as i said - my dog knows more than sham, and he`s a particularly thick animal

So you're saying that you made a mistake, and in the same sentence blaming someone else for your lack of knowledge. You debate like you sell a house, badly.

So you're saying that you made a mistake, and in the same sentence blaming someone else for your lack of knowledge. You debate like you sell a house, badly.

that it .............. 16hrs and it all you can come up with?

Now then children, play nicely.

Nice to see nothings changed in the two weeks ive been away.

However, that doesn't mean that property isn't a bad bet, it all depends on your circumstances and what happens to the various markets. For instance, if we're about to enter an era of hyperinflation, converting £30k into property + a load of debt would be a crackingly good move whichever way house prices go. If we enter a period of deflation, it wouldn't.

Can you explain the bit about buying property being a good idea if we enter an era of hyperinflation? Also what are the chances of Britain going into hyperinflation before the end of '09, as a rough guess?

Can you explain the bit about buying property being a good idea if we enter an era of hyperinflation? Also what are the chances of Britain going into hyperinflation before the end of '09, as a rough guess?

If we have hyperinflation, the value of money shrinks incredibly fast. Therefore the value of debt shrinks too. Say you had a £100,000 mortgage and inflation was running at 100% p.a. (which isn't very high in hyperinflation terms), your mortgage would be worth the equivalent of £50,000 after 1 year, 25k after 2 etc. After 5 years, the outstanding debt on your house would be worth less than half a year's grocery shopping at Sainsbury's. And you end up with a property worth many times the amount you paid for it

In Zimbabwe, a million pound loan taken out 5 years ago could be paid back with a loaf of bread today.

What are the odds? I don't know, the actions by the Govt and BoE are hugely infaltionary - cutting interest rates to unprecedented levels, printing money, borrowing excessive levels, and pumping it into the economy. However the deflationary spiral has massive global momentum and will probably just suck it all up. It doesn't look like anything the Govt tries is going to work, it's just going to make it massively worse: more debt = more deflation for longer. In which case, you need cash not debt as the price of everything will continue to fall and the value of property will continue to decrease relative to the debt served on it.

that it .............. 16hrs and it all you can come up with?

Time to stop digging?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7839023.stm

Deflation looking more likely the way things are going.

What are the odds? I don't know, the actions by the Govt and BoE are hugely infaltionary - cutting interest rates to unprecedented levels, printing money, borrowing excessive levels, and pumping it into the economy. However the deflationary spiral has massive global momentum and will probably just suck it all up. It doesn't look like anything the Govt tries is going to work, it's just going to make it massively worse: more debt = more deflation for longer. In which case, you need cash not debt as the price of everything will continue to fall and the value of property will continue to decrease relative to the debt served on it.

id broadly agree with that, although it does depend on when (if?) the printing presses are turned off. If its not exactly right, then inflation will go to the moon.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7839023.stm

Deflation looking more likely the way things are going.

If we have hyperinflation, the value of money shrinks incredibly fast. Therefore the value of debt shrinks too. Say you had a £100,000 mortgage and inflation was running at 100% p.a. (which isn't very high in hyperinflation terms), your mortgage would be worth the equivalent of £50,000 after 1 year, 25k after 2 etc. After 5 years, the outstanding debt on your house would be worth less than half a year's grocery shopping at Sainsbury's. And you end up with a property worth many times the amount you paid for it

In Zimbabwe, a million pound loan taken out 5 years ago could be paid back with a loaf of bread today.

Im not going to rush into buying just yet on the back of this. I'll take the risk and if my house deposit turns into a loaf of kingsmill 50-50 then it's hard lines. I took up the B&B extra share issue and had my savings with Icesave so this should be 3rd time lucky in terms of my financial decisions:)

Now then children, play nicely.

Nice to see nothings changed in the two weeks ive been away.

Still no change....!