Could you live on £36 a week?

What am I missing here? What's the definition of 'living on'?

Not a cat in hell's chance I could survive on £36 a week - my rent alone is more than that.

It's because the OP is subject to a Jobcentreplus sanction. As I've already said, if s/he was genuinely ill, the get a Med4 from their GP to cover any problems.

If they can't, they're unfortunately entitled to nothing.

I could easily live on it as long as i didn't eat or drink (or heat the house).

Emergency loans are only payable after 26 consecutive weeks of benefit. You could try Provident, but the rates of repayments are high -£100 borrowed, £150 repaid

In answer to the op...

If we're talking about food and drink only, then £35.00 per week is more than enough to live on. you could not cover the cheapest of rents however, and if you need to travel (for interviews, signing on, food shopping etc) you can take £10 to £15 pounds per week out of that again.

To put that another way, do you mean £35 plus housing benefit and council tax benefit? If so the answer is you can survive on it, but I wouldn't call it living. If no, then you will be homeless very quickly.

What am I missing here? What's the definition of 'living on'?

Not a cat in hell's chance I could survive on £36 a week - my rent alone is more than that.

I'm with jess on this one....I couldn't live on £36 a day.:D

Not a cat in hell's chance could I live on that, heating, water, gas etc cost more than that per week!

No he can't as he's clearly claiming JSA or ESA/IS. If he were to charge rent then he would either be in breach of his tenancy (if rented) or income with regard to benefits (if owned).

I think the point they're trying to make is that, if all the Jobcentre is giving him is £36 a week, he might be better off financially by waiving it and taking the rental income.

The legal position with regard to his house, you have a point. He'd need to make sure he's allowed to take in a lodger in the first place.

The whole point of giving you 36quid is so you cannot live on it and have to go out and find work.

A few years ago i returned to Sheff from Ireland.I had lost in 1 week,my girlfriend,my home and my job.I tried to get help just to survive.The benefits office told me my case would take up to 6 weeks to be resolved.I was expected to live rough and not eat.

I was angry because i had paid my taxes for 20 or so years,so i went to see my local M.P. Mr Blunkett and guess what! My predicament was sorted within a week.

Finally,Don't despair,things always turn out well in the end..WELL IT DID FOR ME.

I think the point they're trying to make is that, if all the Jobcentre is giving him is £36 a week, he might be better off financially by waiving it and taking the rental income.

Which is valid, but it should also be realised that the sanction would stay in place at the start of another claim, should he have to claim in the future.

What exactly does the £36/week cover?

How can you afford an internet connection on that money?

There is no need for anyone to be in these dire straits, anyone can get a job on minimum wage of £5.73 per hour if they are prepared to work. It may not be the most desirable of jobs but it certainly more than £36. People are too fussy about what they will do and expect the state to pick up the tab.