Sign in to follow this  

Buying a cheap Laptop

Hi,

My sister wants a laptop, for herself and my little (6 year old) niece.

She doens't have a great deal of cash to spare, but has decided she wants a laptop.

Any advice?

Where to get a new one, online!?

Where best to go for a second hand one!?

My daughter has just bought one from Dell for £419 complete with cdrw (the offer finishes tomorrow I think though). Not the highest spec possible but for that amount I wouldn't expect otherwise. As for secondhand I'm sure I've seen one or two advertised in the for sale section on here.

There are a couple of internet sites that are fairly reliable.

laptopshop.co.uk has been used succesfully.

Originally posted by neeeeeeeeeek

How much cash? not much cash to spare does not help...

300 to 500 Neeeeeeeeek ... obviously if she spends less she can budget for other exciting items like washing machines !!

:)

If buying new you will really need to spend £500

You can get some for slightly less but you may regret it. Acer do some good budet laptops, Ebuyer sell them. The new Amillo range from Fujitsu Siemens are quite high spec and low cost, a bugger to fix if they go wrong but she would not have to worry about that. Ebuyer also sell some of those but not the cheap one. They are made of plastic but you get what you pay for. Whats the kid like? Don't forget that laptops are quite sensitive and very expensive to fix if small child spills orange juice on it or damages the screen. I would recomend spending the extra £60 or what ever and getting a three year warranty, or choosing one that comes with that as standard, extended warranties are normally a rip-off but I think worth it with laptops. Also get a cordless keyboard and mouse and perhaps a old monitor, if the thing is going to be used at home most of the time it can be plugged in and left out the way.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85599

And for the cheapest laptop ever!!

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=84710

I personally would not buy one but they are cheap.