First 52 Red Weekly ticket going up AGAIN!

I spoke with a bus driver this morning who told me I had good timing in buying a new £7 Red weekly ticket as they were going up to £9 on Saturday!

This is the second rise in the price of the ticket in about 6 months. They were £5 a week earlier in the year, they are currently £7 and from Saturday they will be £9. That’s an 80% rise in a year!

How are they justifying this rise in price?

Is this true??

Im lucky enough to live between the crookes terminus and the first stop on walkley rd for the 94/95 that was only recently put to £7 so i may have to start using the orange line more regularly for work.

Ill contact first and find out :(

Im only relaying what the Bus driver told me.

Just contacted them and apparently the announcement has been relayed to bus drivers but shouldnt have been relayed to us CUSTOMERS until the day before, i asked if they should give us certain amount of notice, i got a mumble saying our guidlines state 24 hours...hmm

watch for how many people go to buy a weekly saver with £7 next week

I spoke with a bus driver this morning who told me I had good timing in buying a new £7 Red weekly ticket as they were going up to £9 on Saturday!

This is the second rise in the price of the ticket in about 6 months. They were £5 a week earlier in the year, they are currently £7 and from Saturday they will be £9. That’s an 80% rise in a year!

How are they justifying this rise in price?

Maybe the £5 & £7 tickets where promo prices and the rise to £9 is the true cost of the ticket.

Still it only works out at £1.28 a day, you cant really grumble at that.

Im not too unhappy about it tbh really its just with the globe in supposedly credit crunch meltdown to lift the prices twice in a matter of months seems a tad harsh, i mean i'd love to get a pay rise everytime this occured :D

Maybe the £5 & £7 tickets where promo prices and the rise to £9 is the true cost of the ticket.

Still it only works out at £1.28 a day, you cant really grumble at that.

To raise their pricing by such a huge amount is the problem. You can understand small rises but come on 80% in a year is too much. You would accept it anywhere else!

I think they raised the price from £5 to £7 on 1st August this year, so if they raise again on the 18th October that would be a raise of 80% in 2.5 months! Would anyone else wish to take that kind of raise in ticket prices?

This is combined with the fact you need 2 of these tickets if you want to use any of the buses on the 52 route as it is serviced by both Stagecoach and First and you can’t get a ticket to ride both buses.

Maybe if something had jumped from say £500 to £900 or 5k to 9k that would be different, yes it may work out at 80% but in real money its £4.

Simple answer is if your not happy with the price dont use the service. Still i think £1.28 for a days travel on the 52 is not expensive.

But like i said maybe the £5 ticket was a promo fare, i would be surprised if they made any money on a ticket costing that much.

The £5 one was definitely a promo price - I phoned up many months ago and was told that it was a promotional price and they were not sure how long they would keep it for.

Maybe if something had jumped from say £500 to £900 or 5k to 9k that would be different, yes it may work out at 80% but in real money its £4.

Simple answer is if your not happy with the price dont use the service. Still i think £1.28 for a days travel on the 52 is not expensive.

But like i said maybe the £5 ticket was a promo fare, i would be surprised if they made any money on a ticket costing that much.

But its not, if the ticket is to rise to £9 then stagecoach will do the same, so in order to buy a ticket to use the 52 route you need 2x£9 tickets .. so £18 a week!

Or you can accept a 50% cut in service and sit waiting for your bus to come while others sale past.

But its not, if the ticket is to rise to £9 then stagecoach will do the same, so in order to buy a ticket to use the 52 route you need 2x£9 tickets .. so £18 a week!

Or you can accept a 50% cut in service and sit waiting for your bus to come while others sale past.

Sadly no different to anywhere else that's served by both First and Stagecoach and we've not even benefited from a fancy promotional price up to now. It happens right across Sheffield. It seems there are very few areas that are soley served by one or the other, I wish they'd expand the Stagecoach buse services.