First 52 Red Weekly ticket going up AGAIN!

i just dont understand peoples problem .... whether you live on a £9 weekly route or a £15 one ....... take high green for example 1 taxi must be in the region of £15 to/from sheff ctr , yet you can travel ALL day every day on the bus for £15 for a whole week ..... why dya have a problem ???

if u wannit cheaper buy a 2nd hand bike !!!

Still cost my over a year the same as a bus for the bike - energy drinks £5 a week, inner tube £2 a pop etc etc

The typical cost of bus operations in Pte areas according to data taken from Dept for Transport website for 2006/7 is as follows:

£1.34 per Kilometre or roughly £2 per mile.

Using this costing a 10 mile round trip and allocated one hour to operate would mean the bus company requires takings of £20 per hour of operation or put another way this one hour journey needs to carry at least 20 customers at a fare of £1 or 40 customers at a fare of 50p to cover its running costs.

So dear readers ...I leave it with you to decide whether you are getting value for money on your First or Stagecoach bus fare.

So on my route that is 1 hour long - where it costs £2.50 single (Woodhouse to town) they need less than 10 passenger per bus per hour so per house on the 25A they only need 30 passenger per hour. this does not take into account the cost from town to end of route but I assume price is same.

Their as been many a time where I have been on a overcrowed bus (as some were missing) and therefore more than covered the cost of running the service for the next 3-4 hours.

When i do get the 14 at night it is normally full seating (with a the odd people standing) mainly as it is the only route that serves them, this mean that they could afford to run a 25A inbetween the times that the 14 runs ie 14 on the hour and half past (as now) and then 24A 15 past and 15 to. As the custom is there.

Does the 52 now serve Loxley?

I live in Woodhouse btw - Stradbroke (west) end not the other side where the 52 serves

No the 52 does not serve Loxely, I just think users of the number 14 should use the number 52 (as an example) if they think that bus is better.

When I go on holiday, I go with the holiday that serves me best, if I wanted to go skiing, I wouldn't go to Majorca in July, I can't understand why bus passengers doen't do the same, ie, use a better bus route

So on my route that is 1 hour long - where it costs £2.50 single (Woodhouse to town) they need less than 10 passenger per bus per hour so per house on the 25A they only need 30 passenger per hour. this does not take into account the cost from town to end of route but I assume price is same.

Their as been many a time where I have been on a overcrowed bus (as some were missing) and therefore more than covered the cost of running the service for the next 3-4 hours.

When i do get the 14 at night it is normally full seating (with a the odd people standing) mainly as it is the only route that serves them, this mean that they could afford to run a 25A inbetween the times that the 14 runs ie 14 on the hour and half past (as now) and then 24A 15 past and 15 to. As the custom is there.

That idea does seem very complicated.

No the 52 does not serve Loxely, I just think users of the number 14 should use the number 52 (as an example) if they think that bus is better.

I can't understand why bus passengers don't do the same, ie, use a better bus route

Because they can't if the bus doesn't go past their house or near where they live.

Surely the real question here is, why are bus fares going up when the price of oil is dropping??

Not really a huge issue for me, it's still good value, and I think the 120/123 route is still £7 p/w

Well the Orange Ticket as also gone up to £9 this week. The only way first can generate any extra income now is to increase the price of weekly tickets. Normal fares are capped by the transport executive.

If it wasn't for the fact i have to take my son to school i wouldn't use them as i think it's getting pricey.

I've always used public transport as i don't drive. Coupled with the 80p per day for child fares it works out quite costly.

The fact of the matter is, the cost of a bus ticket is going up while the cost of fuel is going down. If the council did not put artificial obstacles in the way driving would be cheaper than getting a bus.

If the government, be it local or national want people to use public transport then it has to be an attractive choice, but public transport is not to most of the population. It’s dirty, unreliable and costly. But if you do not believe me, just pop across the channel and travel around most EU cities, their public transport puts ours to shame in terms of quality and even more so in value.

The companies that run these services put the customer last and profits first. They have a monopoly on the routes and abuse their position.

The fact of the matter is, the cost of a bus ticket is going up while the cost of fuel is going down. If the council did not put artificial obstacles in the way driving would be cheaper than getting a bus.

If the government, be it local or national want people to use public transport then it has to be an attractive choice, but public transport is not to most of the population. It’s dirty, unreliable and costly. But if you do not believe me, just pop across the channel and travel around most EU cities, their public transport puts ours to shame in terms of quality and even more so in value.

The companies that run these services put the customer last and profits first. They have a monopoly on the routes and abuse their position.

Too right, although, where I live, they (First) have improved the services a lot in the last few years.