The Wicker Station hotel

I used to live in the Station Hotel by the Wicker arches in the early 80's. What has happened to all the pubs. Oh my god! just recently found out that is is now a home for refugees. I have lotsof wonderful memories of the Wicker.

Is there anyone else on here that lived in a pub in the Wicker

Someone asked me the other day "what's the oldest boozer in Sheffield" My mother in law was my reply, she spent most of her life in the Wicker pubs.

Isn't Sheffield's oldest pub the Heavygate in Crookes?

hi

I think the oldest licensed pub in sheffield is the nail makers

gleadless

You're right holberry.

The Old Queens Head in Pond St used to be the oldest in Sheffield but when the city boundaries were extended to include Gleadless Valley the Nailmakers took over.

I remember going in the station hotel in 70s.

There was these sort of talent nights , anyone could get up and sing on stage.

there was one old dear called ma who always sang her own cheeky version of old king cole.

she was there most nights i think.

Originally posted by holberry

hi

I think the oldest licensed pub in sheffield is the nail makers

gleadless

I called in the Nailers a couple of years ago. We'd just been in the New Inn which had just been "done up". The Nailers looked shabby by comparison.

I’m sure I read somewhere that the Nail makers was used by a highwayman who used to hold up the Chesterfield to Sheffield coach near Norton Church.

I remember the Station and i bet your parents are Linda and Tony the last time i saw your parents was in a fish and chip shop in Blackpool you add moved there and ad been there around 2 to 3 years when i came in,and your grandmother lives on hyde park walk and i saw her the other day she is now in a wheelchair (correct? im janet and i add my wedding receiption in the station i married dennis but now divorced OHHHHHHHHHH such bad memories lol Love to all

Originally posted by extaxman

You're right holberry.

The Old Queens Head in Pond St used to be the oldest in Sheffield but when the city boundaries were extended to include Gleadless Valley the Nailmakers took over.

No that's wrong, there are several city centre pubs older than the old queens head, including the hen and chickens and the Dog and Partridge.

There is a thread which digressed onto this subject here

was the station at the end of the wicker ? i used to go in there quite a lot in the 80s a lot of us used to doi the wicker pub crawl at least once a month

what was the name of the pub round the corner at the start of the wicker all i know now its a guest house

Originally posted by dishwasher

Isn't Sheffield's oldest pub the Heavygate in Crookes?

Although the Heavygate is an old building (18th Century or earlier), it only became a pub in the 1850's. Before that it was a farmhouse.

Hugh

(down the hill from the Heavygate)

I used to visit a Pub in the wicker in the 60's and there used to be a "Minah bird" that called out "Wheres Audry".... And I remember a "St Bernard dog" that lived there...Was this the same pub?.