What about the sixties pubs then?

Originally posted by marycrookes

We've done the 60's coffee bars, so what pubs can you remember?I'm mainly thinking of the pubs that had groups on, we'd look down the "Star" each evening, and there would be columns of pubs with groups playing, I can remember the Sicey hotel Shiregreen, the Wharncliffe at Shiregreen,The Blue Bell at Hackenthorpe. the Fleur De Lees at Totley, there was one at Sheffield Lane Top, the Firvale,( this was quite respectable at the time) in fact just before Joe Cocker became famous outside Sheffield, I can remember sitting with him here, and he was really fed up,but just after he hit the big time and the rest is History. There was also the Arbourthorne, and the Woodseats club, are there anymore? I must be having a senior moment because I can't remember anymore so please help me out.

I lived at Hackenthorpe in the 60's and used to frequent the Blue Bell (or paladium of the North) as it was advertised then. I once got Joe Cockers autograph. It was just after "Marjorine" came out. He wasn't playing there though, he had come to see Frank White and his band. The other Music venues around that area were the Centre Spot at Base Green & The Birley Hotel at Frechville. The Birley is where the Blonde haired guy (cant rememember his name) from the Daisy's got electrocuted on stage if any one remembers that. Some problem with the mike I believe. Anyone remember the Mustard Seed, not the later one opposite the Peace Gardens the old one on three levels. Different music on each level. The downside was the God Squad who were always ready to start up a conversion conversation.

[Chumpy] Yeah,I forgot about the mynah bird.The Moor then was very busy with traffic and whenever a motorbike revved up or made a noise outside,the mynah bird would give a very good,loud imitation of it.This was usually a terrible shock to anybody on their first of the day,after a heavy night ,as it sounded like the bike was just about to whizz through the pub.

At that time the landlord was called Jim,a real gentleman.

Much later ,he had the red Lion,behind the City Hall and The Hole In THe Wall[?] in the Wicker-Savile Street.

Have vague flashbacks of a room called the Zen Den in The Ship Inn on Shalesmoor.

Think the ceiling was decorated with egg-box cartons which were considered trendy in those days.

Funniest moment when a chap nicknamed Greeneyes came in with his face twitching and his eyes rolling uncontrollably -Wanna buy some great tablets "no side effects" he said.

Yes,I remember that little back room and that bloke Greeneyes coming in.

As far as I remember,he was a very handsome chap;witty,urbane,charming but at the same time--caring and sensitive...... He was helpful too---he'd give anyone a hand.

The rumour was that he took tablets for recurring nosebleeds but there had been a hitch at the Pharmacy and the Pharmacist, Dr. Murf had prescribed the wrong stuff-----hence the twitching and the long,sleepless nights.

I heard that later in life he devoted himself to those less well- endowed than himself. No surprise there--he always had the aura of a saint

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by muddycoffee

Hi Bigkev. The Old queens head is far from the oldest pub in sheffield. The nailmakers arms has had it's licence for over twice as long.

This is contrary to the information I have been told. I have been told that the Nailmakers building is older than the Queens Head but the Queens Head was a pub before the Nailmakers. I'm curious now and would really like to establish this fact.

Hi Lickszz and Owdlad,

according to the definitive listing of sheffield public houses by michael liversage.

The old queens head was in existance as a building c1505 as a banqueting and hunting lodge (they think) But it only became a beerhouse (type of early pub with a licence for beer only) in 1841. In 1856 he took out a full license and renamed it as the old queens head. Making it 164 years old

Nailmakers arms was built 1627 as a pub, and had it's licence from the start. 378 years

It is currently in the bounds of sheffield and therefore it qualifies as the oldest pub in sheffield, although it was in the village of blackmoor in derbyshire when it began it's trade.

Within the ancient bounds of sheffield, the Dog and partridge on trippet lane has held it's licence for at least 217 years, and is therefore older than the old queens head.

The hen and chickens on castle green had a conterfeiting crime reported in it's bar in 1837 although there is no info as to how much older that pub is, but older than the old queen again over 168 years, but early records of some of the older pubs may be completely lost so there is no definite answer.

Hello Muddycoffee

I'm in no position to dispute any of that. I was only stating what I was told by someone who I believed to be in the know regarding the Nailmakers.

I will ask my source to check their facts and elaborate on where their data was obtained from.

• 6 months later...