Why Are So Many People MOANING About Being Unemployed?

How about we all stop taking things personally and look at the big picture?

We are all different. Some people lose their jobs but don't want to sign on, and will find work doing anything rather than claim benefits. Some people want to claim benefits - which they are entitled to - when they lose their job - until they get back into work. Some are fortunate to have a partner who can support them financially and don't need to work if they choose not to.

But some people (who have no disabilities or caring responsibilities) just want to claim benefits - for ever. They want to have a home, have children, have material goods, but they don't want to make a contribution to pay for any of these things. Surely these are the folk the rest of us get fed up paying for. Not the ones who may be having a temporary hard time because of bad health, redundancy, recession or whatever.

My point exactly Ms Macbeth when I say: "Yes there are the ones out there who exploit the system and they should be ashamed of them selves, but what makes people think they can tar everyone with same brush? "

I have no intention of getting in to a personal battle with anyone; I just can’t believe that people can have such negative and narrow minded view on others without ever being in their shoes. And believe me, I am FAR from being a bleeding heart liberal, I just think a little tolerance and respect for ones fellow man can go a long way.

Especially when it transpires that they have them selves, had a scrape with redundancy and a narrow escape from taking social “hand outs”.

Perhaps they should just consider themselves lucky, rather than finding fault with others less fortunate.

Sheffield S6

NOT everyone who is on the dole wants to be... I am still on the dole and its horrible.

I apply for loads of jobs but been a teenager with no qualifications and little experience or driving license, nobody even gives me the chance of an interview. I must have been to 5 interviews in 6 months... after like 50 applications.

But yeah , please stop judging people. Unemployment is booming! Immigration is continuing... Sheffield has no industry! Check all the empty new office buildings in town.. check all the run down old factories... We have nothing. Not even ASDA want me.

It aint easy finding a job, the jobs just dont exist. Theres 2 million people on job seekers allowance in the UK... with 600,000 vacancies in the WHOLE country. Then theres the millions on disability, all the students in college and UNI studying hopeless degrees and qualifications in media studies and other rubbish.

The only people who have it good are the public sector council working useless "non-jobs"

NOT everyone who is on the dole wants to be... I am still on the dole and its horrible.

I apply for loads of jobs but been a teenager with no qualifications and little experience or driving license, nobody even gives me the chance of an interview. I must have been to 5 interviews in 6 months... after like 50 applications.

But yeah , please stop judging people. Unemployment is booming! Immigration is continuing... Sheffield has no industry! Check all the empty new office buildings in town.. check all the run down old factories... We have nothing. Not even ASDA want me.

It aint easy finding a job, the jobs just dont exist. Theres 2 million people on job seekers allowance in the UK... with 600,000 vacancies in the WHOLE country. Then theres the millions on disability, all the students in college and UNI studying hopeless degrees and qualifications in media studies and other rubbish.

The only people who have it good are the public sector council working useless "non-jobs"

So if you were to be offered a job in the public sector you'd turn it down on principle then?

You mean a job where i get paid atleast 500 pound a week to do nothing beneficial to the public i am paid to serve? I would most likely take the job, as ive been unemployed 6 months and cant even afford clothes from oxfam.

I might give a % of my salary to charity tho, but i even give some of my job seekers to charity.

Get onto Sheffield City Council's job website then - here's a nice part time job for an animal lover for instance: http://jobs.sheffield.gov.uk/job_details.asp?VacancyID=10296&NAV=G

Or this one, working in the community? http://jobs.sheffield.gov.uk/job_details.asp?VacancyID=10264&NAV=G

No qualifications needed for either of the above.

Nowhere near £500 a week ;), but more than minimum wage. All sorts of stuff on there, IT, secretarial as well as the higher paid stuff.

Fellow contributors, I fully appeciate and respect the differences of opinion of this subject. Comments, quite properly, are made about "the system" may I suggest a system which in any way enables the feckless and dishonest to live well off the labour and taxes of others is wrong. The welfare state was not on its inception intended to allow people to exist in this way. It was a safety net to allow people to live with dignity UNTIL THEY FOUND EMPLOYMENT. This has been disgustingly abused and allowed to happen by both political parties and has lead to a dependent underclass notable for its poor acheivement, fecklessness, criminality and obesity.

The SYSTEM is outdated and should be changed.

Those who are not prepared to work should not eat.

The SYSTEM is outdated and should be changed.

Those who are not prepared to work should not eat.

The first statement is fine but perhaps the second needs refining a bit, everyone needs to eat but sky TV, a car, smoking, drinking etc are all luxuries one should work for.

I am prepared to withdraw the last statement which is, I believe, a quote from Lenin. (just in case anyone thought i was a bit right wing)

The first statement is fine but perhaps the second needs refining a bit, everyone needs to eat but sky TV, a car, smoking, drinking etc are all luxuries one should work for.

Many people xenia want to work. But if you look at the econemy right now... 600,000 vacancies and 2 million on job seekers allowance. Your living in fairy land if you believe that most unemployed just dont want work.

Then we can add students (who will eventually leave college and NEED a job). Then theres all those on disability. And of course the 2 million unemployed does not include people like me... who have been on the dole for 6 months or more. I am now "long term unemployed". And every week more and people people will be removed from the ranks of "unemployed" and moved to "long term unemployed" , giving the illusion that the unemployment figures are lowering, when infact they are just not published in their entirety.

Enjoy your evening, and your job... what ever it is you have. I am lucky i have my pensioner grand parents who have worked all their life and paid off their mortgage. I get 45 pound a week from the state, without them and their kindness i would be homeless and totally ****ed. Dont believe all you hear about unemployed people getting wide screen TVs and sky TV. If they do its because of debt not benefits. Debt given to them by reckless banks... hence the "crisis" we have now.

Our country is based on debt now... funny thing is... we borrow money from other countries and banks... then we spend it on cheap imported goods.. sending the money we borrowed right back out of our economy and into the pockets of the people we borrowed it from in the first place.

Our globalist, jackass politicians have given our soul away in the past 30 years. I see the day coming where britain can no longer afford food. But i do not see the day when any better off nation helps to bail us out in any way shape or form.

Liberal *****!

To me, the only good thing to come from this disaster, will be the fact that maybe our government will have to actually face up to whats happening, instead of simply reducing the stats, by putting people onto another list of stats.

Maybe, as a country this could overhaul the education system, perhaps we will now be forced to properly train our workforce instead of simply dishing out qualifications.

I was just baffled as to how the last 10 years could have been called a boom, when everything was based on debt. We have no industry, so how on earth the country willl escape this one is beyond me.

Perhaps this could force our polititians to be more honest in the future

This could be the biggest thing to happen to this country since the 2nd world war. I believe although things will be painfull for a few years, perhaps in the long term it could be a good thing, only time will tell though.

I was just baffled as to how the last 10 years could have been called a boom, when everything was based on debt. We have no industry, so how on earth the country willl escape this one is beyond me.

Some time ago I had a debate with someone on the Bank charges mega thread about debt, I was told that to the bank debt was an asset and they sold these assets to each other :huh:, I bet some banks wish they didn’t have so many "assets" now.

We are getting of subject, the OP stated:-

Ok, I am fed up with constantly hearing on this forum statements like

"I can't find a job"

"No one will employ me"

"I want to work and will do anything, but there is no work out there"

All of these are just rubbish and I really believe that most of the people that are moaning are doing so cause they feel they should moan, but don't actually really want to work

Which poses the question, is the social system to generous when some people can turn their noses up at a certain job because its beneath their aspirations or they would be worse of financially?