Why Are So Many People MOANING About Being Unemployed?

You have a point but I still think your first post was a bit stupid.

How many people in your sector have you heard moaning about unemployment?

You have a point but I still think your first post was a bit stupid.

How many people in your sector have you heard moaning about unemployment?

None - becasue there is a huge demand for staff

If there is no work in your sector - simple - change sector!

As i have stated many a time - this industry is not necessary looking for qualified or experianced people, but people that would be looking to work and learn. People that have the ability to Care and help others - people that simply have time for others and that is pretty much all the qualifications that you need, rest is courses you can go on if need be.

I have jsut looked on the main job site for sheffield - there are over 500 jobs advertised, yes some are manual work, many are in care industry, many are retail - but there are jobs out there and that is all my point was.

There are jobs out there if people actually do want them.

Then expand your arguement. As you clearly disagree strongly state your case rather than issue abuse.

Where is this person wrong? Is it incorrect to believe that there is dignity in work albeit for small reward or is there no shame in relying on the state and other citizens taxes to keep you. What is your position?

No apologies.

No chance, the Co Op said shelf stacking was beneath me cos I was OVER-QUALIFIED! :

On another thread sometime ago I seem to remember you belittling factory work, perhaps that was beneath you as well.

Why don't you get a job in computing.Then you can sit down and stand up as much as you like.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

I doubt you'd take on someone with back problems am I right? And having back problems would I want to be caring for other people? Is it even practical? I have to sit down when I need to and stand up when I need to. I am after a job but some how cripple girl here thinks that you wouldn't be employing me!!!

I want to work, I do, but not at the risk of annoying my employer and the risk of my back.

8 months off work and I'm not intitled to a penny according to the government - Im such a spunge.

Seems like you are looking at all the wrong reasons for not getting a job.Why not try to get a job that involves computors,then you could stand-up or sit-down as much as you want.

I think you have got the wrong attitude and feel sorry for yourself.:(

None - becasue there is a huge demand for staff

If there is no work in your sector - simple - change sector!

Well since no one's moaning about it what the hell is your point?! If you're claiming builders, IT workers, bankers etc. not wanting to write off all their qualifications and years of experience to work as a carer is crazy then I think you need a reality check! What qualifications do you need to be a carer?

Well since no one's moaning about it what the hell is your point?! If you're claiming builders, IT workers, bankers etc. not wanting to write off all their qualifications and years of experience to work as a carer is crazy then I think you need a reality check! What qualifications do you need to be a carer?

I have seen 30 years experience in the steelworks go down the pan and lots of miners had the same fate, its no good feeling sorry for yourself, you have to move on.

Right,

Your second point is a very good one and therefore should have been your first one. I took issue with you because of the stereotype used in your post, which simply isn't true in all cases.

You annoyed me because you are an employer and should have no prejudice over prospective employees. You cannot assume that everyone unemployed is going to adopt the same attitude - I empathise for those looking for jobs, if they are going to be judged by yourself and others in this way.

People are going to "moan" about the unemployment situation, as anyone can tell you that has spent time looking for a job... it's about being in the right place at the right time - jobs are not that easy to come across, which suit your needs and lifestyle (everyone has their own constraints).

As for yourself, you will want an employee that suits the job exactly. Care is not easy and it will take time to fill that position. "The right place the right time," but please do not judge ALL job seekers as you have done previously. This IS offensive and people WILL take issue with it. If you do not want to be criticised for your comments/opinions then simply don't write them.

I apologise if I have offended anyone else but unfortunately stopnsmile, I do not apologise for my initial post, admittedly you was annoyed and should have displayed a little restraint.

Well said xangelic, here is what I was typing while you were posting your last post:

Sorry but I think this argument is being oversimplified by certain individuals. It is not by any stretch of the imagination easy to find work, even if you really want it (or words to that effect). There are variables in this situation, which were touched upon by others but not yet elaborated upon. What follows is based around my views of proper people who genuinely want and need work, but are restricted to what they can take, not the ones who are happy just living on what they can get for free for the rest of their lives.

For instance it is implied that there is no pride in claiming benefits, where as there is pride in being employed and earning your self a crust…I agree to a degree but again this is an oversimplification. No one takes pride in being unemployed surely, but should someone who does not take a job, just so as to have a job, be viewed as a social and economic lepper? The answer is NO! Why not take a look below the surface and consider just a few of many possible reasons for a person not taking on a minimum wage job?…. Y’know….before you start to throw the first stone!

What about people who have worked hard all their lives and lost their job through their employer going bust…they could have got a mortgage and will have no way to keep up payments if they accept a minimum wage job, once their mortgage protection insurance period runs out? Are they wrong to hold out in the hope of a better paid job so as not to loose every penny that they have paid in to a mortgage over the last 3o years? Are they feeling sorry for themselves by commenting on the injustice of it all or purely making a statement based around a sad state of affairs that has been thrust upon them?

Ultimately if someone is going to be financially worse off as a result of just taking any job for the sake of wanting work or “self respect” then this is surely counter productive, especially if the welfare of a child or children may be affected.

If this is indeed the case, the state will even then have to offer “hand outs” to supplement this person so as the child/children are not going without. More often than not the amount offered as a supplement can be equal to that that was being claimed prior to accepting the minimum wage job. So what’s the point?

Will you now allow someone to take more pride in them selves if this is the case? In fact who are you to say what actions should provide one with or remove one from having self respect, without being able to judge a situation based purely upon its own individual merit?

Oh well the job could lead to bigger and better things “eventually” I hear you say…Ah but not in most case, as a job that offers minimum wage very rarely offers any form of job satisfaction or career prospects….. Unless you of course you take exceptional pride in making sure all the labels on the tins you just stacked all face the same way and can take inspiration in that fact that in maybe 7 or 8 years if you play your cards right and never (God forbid) become ill and take time off, you might actually progress to the position of the person who puts sawdust down on the floor when someone drops a bottle of milk!

Yes I am being facetious I know, but much in the same vein as the original thread has also been oversimplified…Is my point becoming clear now?

Please tell me then, in the case outlined above should one be lacking in self respect by not taking on such a counterproductive vacancy? Even though they may have paid their Taxes and National Insurance Contributions for God knows how long, for just that eventuality, where one should unfortunately become unemployed at some point in their lives?

Is it there fore a sign of lack of self respect and a sign of a lack of interest in getting a job, to accept “state handouts” in this situation?

Now me personally….I have been employed over the years, I have also been self-employed over the years and I have also been an employer for a good few years, I have also had the misfortune to be on the other side of the fence and been unemployed, as I am indeed now.

I shall not venture further into my personal situation at this juncture as I don’t feel that I need to justify my point of view to that degree, however I shall state and shall forever stand by my statement that, unless you have been in every conceivable situation and had the benefit of viewing a situation from every conceivable perspective, then is it really pertinent to judge and indeed criticise in general when there is clearly no such thing in life as a black and white situation?...or does mitigation stand for nothing in your view as a perspective employer who would be expected to have a duty of care and moral perspective and empathy with the people that you employ?

Sheffield S6.

Why don't you get a job in computing.Then you can sit down and stand up as much as you like.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

I would if I could, but most of the good jobs in IT want Graduates.

I would if I could, but most of the good jobs in IT want Graduates.

Well then get a basic job in IT. Everyone has to start somewhere. I cleaned toilets out in my first job. Hated every second, rubbish pay. But it helped me get my second job and so on. It may take you 3/4/5 more jobs to actually get to where you want to be.