Manor allotments. What are they like?

With knotweed it helps to lay a carpet over it after you've hacked it back. This speeds up its growth as it looks for light, and then you can periodically lift up the carpet, hack it back again and burn the waste.

Might speed up the process a bit, and also helps to ensure that the contaminated soil isn't tracked around the site as easily.

afraid i've been a bit under the weather for the past few days so not been able to pop up as planned. I hope to be up there this sunday for a bit to clear the knotweed, but im not really looking forward to it.

afraid i've been a bit under the weather for the past few days so not been able to pop up as planned. I hope to be up there this sunday for a bit to clear the knotweed, but im not really looking forward to it.

I caught a snippet on the news about research into biological controls for knotweed.

Not much help to you at the moment, I'm afraid, but at least there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.

I caught a snippet on the news about research into biological controls for knotweed.

Not much help to you at the moment, I'm afraid, but at least there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.

you mean ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7531221.stm ?

I dont expect the nymphs to be introduced in this country for a few years yet, so i have my work cut out :hihi:

hay peeps sy the guy with 3 plots cought some people nicking scrap metal on there today he chased em off but you know they will be back keep an eye out for them

Hi All. Ive been thinking about getting a patch myself. Just sent an email to the council. Any tips as i kind of figure try and get things cleared over the winter ready for next year etc. (need to buy a book to help i think lol) Im probably going for the manor one as i live in heeley.......any tips......also how many young people do you get there as im only 28 :) ......

Hi All. Ive been thinking about getting a patch myself. Just sent an email to the council. Any tips as i kind of figure try and get things cleared over the winter ready for next year etc. (need to buy a book to help i think lol) Im probably going for the manor one as i live in heeley.......any tips......also how many young people do you get there as im only 28 :) ......

Helloo! we're (me n Mojo1) are only 34 & 30 - so not much older than you.

Getting the plot cleared will probably be the only thing you can do this year, the plots left are badly overgrown but it's worth clearing them!

If you do get an allotment the Council will send you an allotment booklet with your tenancy agreement, it might be best to ring them as emails often get missed. (it's one man in the office).

We're hopefully going up there in the morning, weather permitting. But you can always PM me when you're going and see if we can meet up and you can see what we've done so far.

Mojo1 is more of the expert so she'll give you hints n tips!

See you soon!

Hiya

Cheers for all that :) ....i sent the email monday and got a reply yesterday, so im on the list .... :) .....i might take you up on that offer, are you going up there thursday or friday?

Do any of you have plot 25? I have just taken on plot 26 :help:

I was wondering if any of you had any advice as where to start. I also have no idea what to do with the several large trees growing right in the middle!

We are going up tomoro and most of the weekend to start clearing, but I just wondered how some of you started or if anyone can recomend where I can hire a chainsaw.

Do you want a hand tooo lol........... im free tomorrow......

omg.....thats mental..... ...the offers still there for a hand.....i may need to go via a shop to get heavy duty gloves though lol