Manor allotments. What are they like?

Wow I go away for a couple of days and look how many of you pop up?

Hopefully the weeds haven't done the same:hihi:

I'll be there from tomorrow until the weekend, (I will be going home for sleeps) but I hope to run into some of you:D

You turning into a gurlie in your old age?? What's wrong with taking the tent down..... :hihi:

You turning into a gurlie in your old age?? What's wrong with taking the tent down..... :hihi:

There is already a tent on one of the other allotments, I don't want to clash:hihi:

Signed and sent off my contract today so hope to get the keys soon.

It seems we have a fair few on the Manor now. Is there an official Manor allotments group/society of some sort, for example, one that can lobby the council for cleaning out the rubbish or stop tenants from neglecting their plots etc etc.

Signed and sent off my contract today so hope to get the keys soon.

It seems we have a fair few on the Manor now. Is there an official Manor allotments group/society of some sort, for example, one that can lobby the council for cleaning out the rubbish or stop tenants from neglecting their plots etc etc.

I don't know about a Manor Allotments society, but we are trying to get something done about it.

One of the Allotment holders is writing a letter for us all to sign so we can complain with one voice about the problem.

See you up there soon:)

no theres no society down there we have all complaned before mind you i think there was only three of us down there at the time so more of us then stronger voice it might be worth a try

The council (allotment office) will usually come back and say there's no money, etc. If you find out what area panel the allotments come under you might be able to get some money from them to help with a clear up (skips, etc). Definitely helps if you form an association/society though. We went through similar stuff with our site (Hagg House) a couple of years ago. PM if you want more details.

It would really help you if you set up an allotment society. They are springing up all over the place. If you have a society and pay a basic subscription then you will have a voice through Sheffield Allotment Federation. If the Federation know of specific problems on your site then they can raise them with Parks, Woodland and countryside (at a quarterly meeting called 'Allotment Advisory' that meets with various councillors, Chris Healey from Parks and Countryside, John Martin the Allotment Officer and is chaired by Cllr. Gillian Creasy). Parks and Countryside consult with Sheffield Allotment Federation so representation would certainly be wortH your while.

Good luck with it all. We set up (revitalised) a society at Heeley and District site a couple of years ago with no regrets. :thumbsup:

Just a heads up, the padlock on the main gate had seized up this morning. We got a nice man to spray it with WD40 and it was ok again, but it's worth having some with you just incase.

I'll have a flask of coffee and a fire as a welcome:D

If it's the one opposite mine you have a Japanese knotweed problem in the making, but I have evil plans for that nasty plant, so fear not;)

good god, mine *is* the one with the knotweeds. I got the keys finally and went up today to have a quick look around. Having very little gardening experience (i.e. none) i'm not looking forward to clearing up that rubbish :(

good god, mine *is* the one with the knotweeds. I got the keys finally and went up today to have a quick look around. Having very little gardening experience (i.e. none) i'm not looking forward to clearing up that rubbish :(

Leave the knotweed for now. If you do cut it back, burn it straight away but don't try and dig it out yet, you'll just double the problem.

Glyphosphate will destroy it but only after many applications. The plots are pretty long, so you have plenty of growing space to be going on with, as long as you don't let it flower and seed you should be able to keep it under controll while you wait for it to die.

We wont be there much over the next week or so (breaking in a new kitten) so good luck and see you soon.:)

Leave the knotweed for now. If you do cut it back, burn it straight away but don't try and dig it out yet, you'll just double the problem.

Glyphosphate will destroy it but only after many applications. The plots are pretty long, so you have plenty of growing space to be going on with, as long as you don't let it flower and seed you should be able to keep it under controll while you wait for it to die.

We wont be there much over the next week or so (breaking in a new kitten) so good luck and see you soon.:)

Knotweed doesn't seed, thank God, or the whole country would be over-run by now!

We've got some in our local wood, which I reported to the Council. I was told that they are not allowed to use chemicals - only organic stuff - so they're a bit stumped when it comes to knotweed!! They do seem to cut it down every now and then, but it is still gradually creeping along and getting more and more established.

I can understand the wish to stick to organic methods, but if there is no organic way to kill knotweed, it strikes me as just plain bloody stupid not to use the chemicals :loopy:

Knotweed doesn't seed, thank God, or the whole country would be over-run by now!

We've got some in our local wood, which I reported to the Council. I was told that they are not allowed to use chemicals - only organic stuff - so they're a bit stumped when it comes to knotweed!! They do seem to cut it down every now and then, but it is still gradually creeping along and getting more and more established.

I can understand the wish to stick to organic methods, but if there is no organic way to kill knotweed, it strikes me as just plain bloody stupid not to use the chemicals :loopy:

The problem with using chemicals on it is that the roots go so deep the ground and surrounding ground would be effectively poisoned for a good year, also if one gram of root remains healthy then it will be back anyway. It's evil.

I'm surprised that the council have let it grow on the site, knowing what it can do. Some of the other allotment holders have poisoned this particular patch already and, well it's back.

It's a slow process to hack it back and repeatedly poison it until it gives up, but it's a sure way to make sure nobody else has a ruined crop or invasion of the Triffids.