Newfield school???

I went to newfield in 1961 and left in 65 , the school was like a palace compared to meersbrook bank junior school .I found the staff very good and keen to get even the thickest kids interested in gaining some sort of qualification.At that time the factories were crying out for uneducated fodder to do the manual jobs for next to no wages .I remember being told " if you don't pass your exams you will finish up working on the bins " from what i hear even the bins pays good money nowadays.

Rainbelle - feeder for Meadowhead = Hazelbarrow, Lowedges, some of Woodseats, AbbeyLane Sir Harold Jackson, Greenhill poss Low Meadows and some of Norton Free. Council Website had more details.

I'll have you know that there is actually a waiting list to get into springs now with the state of the art building which is thats a bit of a contradiction to what you said about once a school gets a new building. Nothing wrong with Springs at all, if you want to get good grades you will, i took 9 GCSEs last summer (2007) and got 5 B's and 4 C's.

Oh and if Springs is much worse than Newfield, how come Newfield is in special messures and Springs isn't?

I know all too well what Springs was, and it wasn't too nice in the past :o Let's just say a lot of the problems were more to do with the staff being...ahem...lax.

However, yes, it has got a new building and is better than it was, and is also now in higher demand. Good resources do that kind of thing and I hope to God they've got a good new team in there.

You have to admit a lot of the schools (like Springs, Newfield, etc) aren't suited to the quieter, more timid kind of kid though.

Newfield is appalling and has been for years. My oldest is just leaving, youngest doesn't want to lose her friends. Going in and then moving out not too practical, better not to go in the first place. Lots of supply teachers who just give out word searches instead of taking lessons, appallingly dirty and badly maintained, succession of poor headteachers plus infighting. Lots of managers but no management - 'senior leadership team' of several teachers doesn't seem to result in any leadership, new head teacher seems to be one for management BS.

Not a patch on the education I had as a boy - we even had textbooks.

IMO Abbeydale grange better, unless you've got problems with muslims.

newfield school is great i left 5 yrs ago and my lil sis is starting on wednesday!

any school is how you make it if your a cocky ******* then you get a bad repu tation but if your willing to learn then your ok!

it's down to the pupil at the end of the day,

newfield school is great i left 5 yrs ago and my lil sis is starting on wednesday!

any school is how you make it if your a cocky ******* then you get a bad repu tation but if your willing to learn then your ok!

I see a lot in that, but there's also the fact that you could be the cleverest student in the School, but if the teachers don't give a flying you-know-what about your education, you're stuffed.

You have to admit a lot of the schools (like Springs, Newfield, etc) aren't suited to the quieter, more timid kind of kid though.

Exactly!! Which is one of the reasons my son won't be going there. I am not prepared to risk him being picked on just because he is one of the quiet ones.

I am not daft I know bullying goes on in every school but just feel he would stand a better chance somewhere else.

Apparently during the 2 day induction for the y7's, a fight broke out and was so bad the police had to be called in.:o

Also my neighbours child who was on the school bus back home witnessed a boy setting alight a can of spray deodorant and shooting the flames out into the bus.:o

This kind of behaviour scares me, and don't think makes an appropriate environment for a child who wants to learn.:(

I see a lot in that, but there's also the fact that you could be the cleverest student in the School, but if the teachers don't give a flying you-know-what about your education, you're stuffed.

That's rubbish, I've seen some of the smartest kids I know failed by teachers who've managed to come out with flying colours. If you're lazy and clever you're not going to pass, but that's irregardless of a good teacher or not. If you're clever and determined you'll succeed no matter what.

A poor teacher really lets down the kids in the middle and the kids at the bottom of the scale. At the end of the day most schools offer a really good education, and most kids do pretty well with exams that in today's society are beginning to mean very little. The problem with school is that everybody went, and so everybody feels they are an expert and has a barometer to compare it to. You have lots of people, as evidenced in this thread, casting judgments on school based on their experiences a long time ago and on hearsay from friends. Then you have the pupils, who generally hate school, coming on here and raving about it saying they loved it, had a great time, got decent GCSE results.

Schools in special measures get more funding, more governmental support and more often than not get out of special measures fairly quickly. Those teachers at Newfield are going to be working their balls off to make sure they get the best GCSE results possible over the next few years. What's better a school where the teachers are busting their gut, or one where the teachers have been teaching a long time, getting decent GCSE results and are just coasting comfortably? I'm not saying that's the case in all good schools in Sheffield because I know it isn't, but I'm sure it's a factor in a few of them in a few departments.

Go visit the school, speak to the teachers, speak to the kids and follow your gut instinct. Don't rely on the 'expert' opinions of the posters on the Sheffield Forum!

(:

Yeah, but what always worries me is those kids who could do well but are either easily led or aren't the best at sticking up for themselves or stand out in some way.

If you're quite a normal kid, and responsible, and don't stick out you'd do well at Newfield, but you'd do well in any school.

Like Mmrraww, I have just left, and Newfield really isn't that bad. Sure it's not perfect but all schools have faults, mostly to do with the pupils who attend, not the school itself. The teachers are great, and of course the new school is about to open so if you go now, you will get the benefit of it. Just don't listen to the bad reports as most are exaggerated, and from parents who've never actually been, or attended in 1950something and had problems themselves. tbh, all the problems it's had in the past have helped to improve the school, in the time I have been there the school has improved literally beyond rekognition. Your child will be fine. :thumbsup:

Like Mmrraww, I have just left, and Newfield really isn't that bad. Sure it's not perfect but all schools have faults, mostly to do with the pupils who attend, not the school itself. The teachers are great, and of course the new school is about to open so if you go now, you will get the benefit of it. Just don't listen to the bad reports as most are exaggerated, and from parents who've never actually been, or attended in 1950something and had problems themselves. tbh, all the problems it's had in the past have helped to improve the school, in the time I have been there the school has improved literally beyond rekognition. Your child will be fine. :thumbsup:

Isn't it in special measures though???