Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

For people reminiscing about the shops on Dixon Road, here are scans from the Kelly's directories I have dated 1942, 1954, 1968 and 1973..:)

Interesting, thank you. It's a shame that the three down from the hairdressers, 5, 7 & 9 are all so run down and empty now. No 3? is now residential and it looks much better than these.

My sister got her first job after leaving school at Gower and Burgin.her boss did good pen drawings,I still have some soewhere from the 60's. don't remember which shop it was now though.....

hi herbiegrass, my mum used to take me with her to 'gowers' to buy loose butter,bacon and such.i remember a chap working there possibly the manager,his name was Mr.Wittam,grey wavy hair,glasses and always a long white grocers coat.this would have been about 1960 ish,i was about seven.ring any bells to anyone ??

hi herbiegrass, my mum used to take me with her to 'gowers' to buy loose butter,bacon and such.i remember a chap working there possibly the manager,his name was Mr.Wittam,grey wavy hair,glasses and always a long white grocers coat.this would have been about 1960 ish,i was about seven.ring any bells to anyone ??

There was a Gowers amongst the shops opposite Wisewood school.

There was a Gowers amongst the shops opposite Wisewood school.

hi harvey, the gowers i mentioned was on middlewood rd somewhere but cant remember exactly ?

Hi Hillsboro, I'm new to the forum and I know that I have to do five posts before I can send an E:mail to you, but having read quite a few of your posts I believe that you would be able to help me in tracing a family that lived in the hillsboro area in the 1960's, it may be that you went to school with one of them as they was born the same year as you. If you are willing would you please send me your E:mail address so that I could contact you direct, thanks in anticipation.

Interesting, thank you. It's a shame that the three down from the hairdressers, 5, 7 & 9 are all so run down and empty now. No 3? is now residential and it looks much better than these.
I hadn't realised that the properties are empty now - such a shame as you say. The 1925 directory doesn't show any odd-numbered houses, and so that side of the road must have been built up soon afterwards. I just looked at the Google Earth photos and saw that the name G. HAWKSWORTH is still on No 7. The G.R.O. index shows that Granville Hawksworth died aged 65 in 1980.

At one time - I imagine it would be in the mid-1970s - No1 on the corner was a an antique/junk shop called "Bygones". It was run by a recently-retired teacher, Maurice Shimeld who lived on Laird Drive.

..If you are willing would you please send me your E:mail address so that I could contact you direct, thanks in anticipation.
Hi - I'll be pleased to help if I can - [email protected]. Here is a school photo of 1959 and a list of names - I am at the far left, second row back.

Edited by hillsbro

I hadn't realised that the properties are empty now - such a shame as you say. The 1925 directory doesn't show any odd-numbered houses, and so that side of the road must have been built up soon afterwards. I just looked at the Google Earth photos and saw that the name G. HAWKSWORTH is still on No 7. The G.R.O. index shows that Granville Hawksworth died aged 65 in 1980.

At one time - I imagine it would be in the mid-1970s - No1 on the corner was a an antique/junk shop called "Bygones". It was run by a recently-retired teacher, Maurice Shimeld who lived on Laird Drive.

No 1 is now a café, Truly Scrumptious.

hi harvey, the gowers i mentioned was on middlewood rd somewhere but cant remember exactly ?[/QUote]

The Gowers and Burgons you asked about was opposite where the Kentucky place is now and where Johnie Quinns was used to be Gallons I think that is the right way round.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed broken quote tags

MikeG both our memories are slipping it was Les Ridel.

We'll have to agree to differ on that one - I called him Mr. Ridley. The service station where you worked was run by Walter and Dorothy Dungworth - I knew their daughter Gill. Were they a VW agent?

Hi Hillsboro, I'm new to the forum and I know that I have to do five posts before I can send an E:mail to you, but having read quite a few of your posts I believe that you would be able to help me in tracing a family that lived in the hillsboro area in the 1960's, it may be that you went to school with one of them as they was born the same year as you. If you are willing would you please send me your E:mail address so that I could contact you direct, thanks in anticipation.

Maybe if you posted their names others from the area may know them.

Hello all,

I am Roger, Ian`s brother. Well, Cheetham, call yourself a Wednesdayite. Even I, a dyed in the wool Blade, managed the final in 66. Will you be going to the playoffs this year ?

I have memories to share later, but, meanwhile, does anyone remember Herretts Carpets. I was at School with Andy Herrett in 58`

Great site. The mention of the Misses Kaye, made me shudder

Roger