The Peacock Owler Bar

Jeba

I don't know what has happened to the Peacock at Owler Bar, but they seem to have lost the plot. We went for a meal on Saturday the 12th. The food is usually pretty good for a pub. However when we went in, the person who was 'front of house', a bloke with short cropped hair, was herding people about like cows. We had to almost have an argument with him to be allowed to sit where we wanted and he was sending people away who just wanted a drink because there were no free tables.

They do not allow you to get your own drinks at the bar anymore, which means that by the time you get your beer its flat and warm, by this time I was ready to leave, but the food arrived. I had Bombardier Ale and Steak pie, it was so hot that the first bite instantly removed all the skin from the roof of my mouth (they should be careful, this sort of thing can lead to a claim for damages); check the settings on the microwave! My girlfriend's scampi was so soggy that it could have been in with the washing up.

Come on Landlord, surely you can do better than this!

Did you complain at the time? As unless the owner actually reads this forum, they won't know you were unhappy, will they? It's always best to bring it to their attention when the inedible food is actually still in front of you.

It couldn't have been that bad, if you actually ate it and then paid for it, without saying anything .

• 2 weeks later...

We went a couple of years ago and it was absolutely dreadful, complained there and then and wrote to the brewery. They sent a voucher for 40 quid which was nice however I vowed never to go there with my family again so not much recompense.

Good to see its still the same.

I was there with a few friends on bank hol Mon in May and it was horrendous - everything we ordered, within a few mins someone turned up at the table and said 'sorry, it's no longer available'. We all ended up eating steak because that seemed to be all they had!

I go to the Peacock a lot and have only had a problematic time once, we do go late on in the evenings though. I have been for 'tea' at about 6 and the staff didn't have a clue: silly youngsters who didn't know what was what, my friend asked for a starter salad to come with my main as she didn't want much to eat that eve, and they brought it as starter (even when we had seen them write it down), then to bring us a bottle of still water, took them having to be asked by us 3 times and around 45mins!!!

What makes my blood boil about places is, that they are so busy so must be raking in the profit but they don't employ either enough staff or staff who haven't got a clue about good and competent customer service!

No point in scrimping on the cost of staff when you're putting your customers off!!

I think you are expecting too much - it's just a crappy chain pub with frozen food and microwave stuff so why the fuss?

If you appreciate good food you should have gone somewhere else in the first place. It's a bit like going to McDonald's and complaining that the beef in the burgers isn't top quality or that they don't serve proper chips.

There's no excuse for bad service though, I'll give you that.

• 11 months later...

I get the impression that the Peacock used to have a deserved good reputation for food but has been spoilt by a chain pub company owning it and imposing menus designed by marketing people at head office and using a centralised supply chain for the food.

There are many other pubs within a short drive that do reasonable quality home cooked food, such as the Cricket Inn at Totley, Hearty Oak at Dronfield Woodhouse, Royal Oak at Millthorpe, Coach & Horses at Dronfield, Bradway Hotel at Bradway. In fact, even the food included in the £1 meal offer at the Fleur de Lys in Totley is cooked from fresh!