How much is your house worth? Tried Zoopla?

If you go to http://www.zoopla.co.uk and type in your postcode, you can not only find out how much your house is worth but also valuations for everyone else on your street, when the house was last sold and how much for.

It's a nice site for snooping, but why's this information in the public domain anyway? I'd have thought that the price you paid for your house was a matter for the buyer and seller alone rather than the general public.

Anyway, have a look and see if it makes you feel either smug (if you bought your house 5 or 6 years ago) or sad (if you're wanting to get on the property ladder)......

Nice according to that site my house has risen £20000 since buying it not even a year ago...

Finding that one of my neighbours' houses has recently sold for £40k more than the valuation put on the house a couple of years ago (and £105k more than I paid) is pretty good too.

What are those estimates based on? Why is the next door house to me 'valued' at £20k more when it's the same house? Not that I'm selling, I'm just curious ...

I was working on those houses which had recently sold since the valuations seem to vary so much.

Well, they do get that right .. I noticed I had bought my house for 3K less than I thought I had. Still curious about their valuations.

Mine's also gone down 1.1% in the last year - no surprise there then!

i would take the figures on there with a pinch of salt

i would take the figures on there with a pinch of salt

I agree. The prices are all to **** on there. We know the prices paid for our house and others in the area and they are all different to what is displayed on there.

Really? Mine is right - they get it off the land registry ...

The 'valuations' are really weird ... like I said 20K difference between two houses next door to each other?

Nah

It seems to be based on the price houses went for when they were last bought and sold, so the accuracy of the valuation seems to depend on how recently a house has changed hands.

It seems pretty useless! My house, a mid-terrace in a set of three, is estimated at £139k. The ones on either side are allegedly worth £172k and £170k. Ok, a few grand more because they are end terraces, but over 20% extra?? Besides, my neighbour has just sold his for £140k, not £172k. So there :shocked:

If you go to http://www.zoopla.co.uk and type in your postcode, you can not only find out how much your house is worth but also valuations for everyone else on your street, when the house was last sold and how much for.

It's a nice site for snooping, but why's this information in the public domain anyway? I'd have thought that the price you paid for your house was a matter for the buyer and seller alone rather than the general public.

Anyway, have a look and see if it makes you feel either smug (if you bought your house 5 or 6 years ago) or sad (if you're wanting to get on the property ladder)......

Seems a bit ... optimistic to me....

Last sale: £147,500 Sale date: 9th Jul 2007

Current value £147,500

So it hasn't dropped at all...

It looks like they are just taking the last sale date and then applying the national level of inflation, which for my area means that the less recently it was sold the lower the valuation seems to be. I guess inflation here has outstripped the national average.