Gash Lingerie shop

So if you were told you had a gash in your knee, you'd be offended?

No I wouldn't...

This is what I said..

I'm no prude but even if it is her real name I find it quite offensive because where I come from it is a 'very rude' word used in this context...

my favourite one is the lovely little cat on my street, fondly called Tuppence, yes really.

Never heard that one either...is it a Sheffield thing..my father in-law-had a dog called tuppence, he was from Sheffield, was he having a bit of a laugh on the side?

My mother-in-laws maiden name was Mycock..maybe she should open up a womens only sex toy shop and called it MYCOCKS....:thumbsup:.....and this is for real, her fathers name was AARON......and he was married to...wait for it......................................... Lizzie BALL....

so they could have opened a shop called

MYCOCKS and BALLS...

I thought there was a clothing store in the Grand Theft Auto series called "Gash". As the developers are Leeds based maybe they took inspiration from this Sheffield store?

Reading the posts this morning has really brightened up a dull day.

It can't be that offensive because gash is in my predictive text on my mobile, while all the other 'rude' words took me ages to put in. Give it a try, you know you want to

I see where your train of thought is coming from, your name influencing your nature! Girls called Prudence are usually anything but, sort of thing :)

It wasn't really what I meant, though it's a good point in itself.

I just wonder if, being aware of the slang meaning for her surname, it occurred to her before she started the chain that there was a play-on-words effect by using her own surname as the company name. I further wonder if that's WHY she chose to sell lingerie etc., rather than car tyres or various brands of cheese.

Julia was my college tutor for a short stint back in 99-2000 ish.

I'm almost certain she named the store as a double-entendre.

It's just another Anne Summer's cum Pulse And Cocktails cum Sven Book Shop aimed chiefly at girlies - well, s'all a giggle, innit? - from someone who seems to think she's of a higher calibre than the aforementioned.

'Love stuff?'

In other words, plastic knobs and open-crotch knickers, no doubt aimed at 'Today's confident female.'

Where I come from 'gash' also referred to a lady-part and I remember I couldn't believe it when I first saw a shop called it (yes, it also literally referred to a cut, but the context would make that clear).

As previous posters have said, not only did gash mean that, but it was also at the particularly rude end of the scale, along with the c-word (if not worse); similar to another expression which I can't really name on here (but it had to do with the damage caused by a chopping implement) :blush:

It's just another Anne Summer's cum Pulse And Cocktails cum Sven Book Shop aimed chiefly at girlies - well, s'all a giggle, innit? - from someone who seems to think she's of a higher calibre than the aforementioned.

'Love stuff?'

In other words, plastic knobs and open-crotch knickers, no doubt aimed at 'Today's confident female.'

*Shouts up to the figure on the soapbox*- "Thats the spirit! Bring back Victorian values I say!"

my favourite one is the lovely little cat on my street, fondly called Tuppence, yes really.

Can you imagine going round the neighbours asking, "Have you seen my tuppence" if she went missing?

I was telling two friends about her recently and the male started laughing whilst the female stayed still. He asked her, do you not get it? To which she shouted very loudly as the music went off, "I know what a tuppence is!"

Oh my word, I haven't laughed so hard in ages- thanks for that!

Where I come from 'gash' also referred to a lady-part and I remember I couldn't believe it when I first saw a shop called it (yes, it also literally referred to a cut, but the context would make that clear).

As previous posters have said, not only did gash mean that, but it was also at the particularly rude end of the scale, along with the c-word (if not worse); similar to another expression which I can't really name on here (but it had to do with the damage caused by a chopping implement) :blush:

Come on, ruder than the c-word? That is the ruddest (and one of the greatest) words around. It also appears in Scunthorpe which is awesome. When particularly angry I like to combine the c- word and the b-word to make the ultimate swearword. Custard.

I'm with the OP on this one - Gash is not a very pleasant name for a classy sex shop!

I don't get the tuppence thing either sorry, so what would putting ones tuppence in mean?

Trust me where i come from (Dublin and we know our swear words) Gash is equally offensive as the c word. Does any woman actually call hers her gash, if not ask yourself why?