Student attacked and injured - attackers now sentenced

Many of the posts on this thread and many others state that capital punishment is the solution to all of Britain's crime problems but it just isn't true. The problems are deep rooted and are not going to be sorted out by 'taking out people's eyeballs' and 'flogging the young rascals'. It is nowhere near as simple as that and while I don't think people should have playstations and xboxes in prison I don't see how executing them will solve the problem either. Look at America!

We have problems in our society but executing criminals isn't the answer.

Dimitri. With the greatest respect, using America as a yard stick doesn't work. It's a different kettle of fish, over there. They have the right to arm themselves, but complain when someone goes on a shooting rampage in a school.

The problem in Britain, is that the majority of people are walking on eggshells, for fear of being persecuted by the "PC" brigade.

Capital punishment may not be the ideal solution to all of Britain's crime problems, but it'll send out the right message.

How many of todays youngsters push the boundaries, knowing full well, that they can get away with it?

Lets nip it in the bud, right now, and say enough's enough.

Surely part of the problem is alcohol being too cheap?

Dont buy this myself to be honest, surely part of the problem is that the 2 little muppets are little scummers who think they are badmen gangstas (their not and they will find this out soon enough)

Having a fight/punching someone is imo differnt from smashing a wine bottle over someones napper and booting them in the face when their on the floor.

The chances are they will have been on the marching powder which makes people act like 10 men sometimes especially silly little boys trying to be bad who dont know what their doing.

Imo the lad should get a say in the punishment (if it was me i would get them in a room 1 on 1 or maybe get a mate and see how they like 2 on 1 and give them some of what they dished out. legal injection is a wee bit drastic however if they killed or ruined ths lads life then honestly yeah why not why the **** should they get to have a proper life.

A lot of the people who go on about human rights blah blah have never realy experienced anything like this they may have had a car stolen or mobile but never had or seen a friend serioulsy injured, me myself my all attitude when a mate was knifed to death i wanted that person dead no excuses they were a nutter and shouldnt have even been roaming the streets, guess what sort of people decided they should be roaming the streets ???? yep and they have blood on their hands not that they care in their leafy suburb on their comfy £30k+ a year for doing jack shizzle.

If i was pm the first thing i would do in this case is make the little mugs pay a percentage of their future earnings to the lad they kicked half to death. that includes benifits and any other money they ''earned''

18 months is a mick take but lethal injecion in this case slightly over the top though i do get where the op is coming from.

Id rather be guilty of protecting society than guilty of giving scummers another chance to rob some poor sod of his life.

But then, I'd rather protect a society that makes us better than these (agreed, "scummers")...as hard as that is and as much as gut instinct WANTS to deal "eye for an eye" justice....

As a side note, why would they have faced a "homicide" charge rather than a "murder" charge?.......Perhaps judges ought to watch less TV.

Surely part of the problem is alcohol being too cheap?

It is???

We;;, I've had a bottle and a half of wine, am on my 3rd vodka and coke, and I'm sat here quite chilled....

I don't see how making me pay twice as much for it would make it more relaxing?

Meanwhile heroin is such a problem because it's so chea.....o...hang on...nope, but it's still a problem.

Addictive substances don't follow the same market rules as 8p tins of beans

(edit...apart from the typos that have been brough to my notice, but then, a typo never killed anyone..)

The problem in Britain, is that the majority of people are walking on eggshells, for fear of being persecuted by the "PC" brigade.

Who is walking on eggshells? I don't see the relevance to this case.

Capital punishment may not be the ideal solution to all of Britain's crime problems, but it'll send out the right message.

Would it send out the right message though Paul?

According to the Judge....

Judge Moore said both thugs were "deeply affected" by drink and drugs when they struck.

So would they have cared?

If they were so deeply affected by drink and drugs, that they didn't realise the kicking the living daylights out of someone is wrong, then would they have stopped for a second and thought 'hmmm we could be hung for this?' better stop now.. I doubt it.

These two blokes should be have been locked up for a long time.

The sentence for these two though is appalling. IMO

Personally, I think society would be far better off if scum like this were removed - permanently. But then again you're a bleeding heart liberal who thinks one of this gruesome pair should become Prime Minister and the other the next King.

You really do say some very silly things at times.

One of these incredibly irresponsible people had no previous convictions for a start. I'm sure you know quite a few 'hard men' who also have no previous convictions.

I know I do. People who have done all sorts of things, but never been convicted.

I suppose you agree that the vengeful killing of others in such places as Pakistan or Saudi Arabia is also a good thing?

... and in the meantime get some target practice in.

And brother unto brother ......

Id rather be guilty of protecting society than guilty of giving scummers another chance to rob some poor sod of his life.

I'd rather protect society by humanely depriving criminals of their freedom. Isn't freedom the one thing that we all strive to keep for ourselves?

And you, like the typical leftie, thinks we should be reduced to a doormat that would let anybody wipe their feet all over us.

And in which warped way have you inferred this?

There's no doubt as to their guilt. An eye for an eye etc. I'd favour having them kicked to death themselves.

Strange you know. Quite a lot of people have some distaste for people in Saudi, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria, and other places who do just that.

Bring it back, and cause them as much pain as possible.

I find it hard how the do-gooders can argue a case against it.

And before they start with "human rights" What about the human rights of the poor, innocent victim?

What is your view on how Shari'a law is seen to be observed in such cases? I've no doubt you think it barbaric in other places, but you reckon it's OK here?

Dimitri. With the greatest respect, using America as a yard stick doesn't work. It's a different kettle of fish, over there. They have the right to arm themselves, but complain when someone goes on a shooting rampage in a school.

How many of todays youngsters push the boundaries, knowing full well, that they can get away with it?

Lets nip it in the bud, right now, and say enough's enough.

What the hell are you talking about? Kids don't have the right to arm themselves over there for a start. I don't walk on bloody eggshells either, whether I'm a leftie or not.

Capital punishment time, time, time, and time again has not been a solution. It sends bugger all message out.

Kids have always pushed boundaries, The thing is, we have more media to tell us what is happening all over than ever before. Oh, and the media loves to tell us that we should be in fear.

The reality is, none of us should fear anything random.

That's the bit the scaremongers don't want us to hear though.

I just think that some would say, student or not, you don't get beaten up in town for no reason. there's usually more to it. this thread reads, to me, like he was set upon because he was a student, which may or may not be the case.

it's like when you read about gangs of people breaking into a house and beating the ocupant up - it's rarely random, there's often more to it. someone upset the wrong folk!

it's still a horrifc story and the culprits should be properly punished.

In February 2006 I was walking back home from the train station on a Sunday evening. As I was passing the old fire station on division street I passed a group of 4 or 5 young men. Once of these young men stepped towards me and punched me in the jaw as I passed them - he broke my glasses and left me with some quite severe bruising on my face. His friends then proceeded to taunt me with my broken glasses. I ran until I found a police car on West Street and jumped straight into the back seat with blood running down my face.

It turns out that this group of thugs had randomly assaulted 5 or 6 people along the length of division street.

I was on my own, minding my own business. I didn't even communicate with these thugs befiore they assualted me. I feel lucky that they decided to stop at one punch, because they could have easily have done a lot more.

People do get beaten up in town for no reason.