Is anyone inundated with dandelions?

My alloment is coverd with them this year and like it seems everyone eles as well, they are mega, got my girls to go round and pick the heads off, but there is nothing more better than lifting out the whole root, I will conquer!!!

(sorry for the sp? full of cold and never been any good at it!!!)

Guinea pigs eat the leaves too i think.

they can but sparingly, they are a diuretic (makes em pee)

THey've come up in the hundreds in my garden, I'm just gonna keep cutting em down, I can't use weedkiller etc cos of the piggies going in the garden

My alloment is coverd with them this year and like it seems everyone eles as well, they are mega, got my girls to go round and pick the heads off, but there is nothing more better than lifting out the whole root, I will conquer!!!

(sorry for the sp? full of cold and never been any good at it!!!)

I will conquer them as well !!! Been getting them up today, and Im knackered.:mad:

\Heard Nigel Slater on the Chris Evans show on BBC2 last week and he said the leaves make great salad and the roots taste like real coffee when ground....but as for moi, I just burn them or take them to the dump and let them do it.....:hihi:

Dandelion coffee is sold in the health food shops.

We have picked loads of the little blighters last night and burnt them. Fighting a losing battle though as the grass verges are teeming with them this year. Just have to try and keep on top of them.

yes I've noticed the verges are smothered this year.

The reason is because of the wet summer last year. The wet seeds didnt have time to dry out and blow for very far before landing and getting ready to germinate so thats why it appears that there are more dandelions, there arent more, theyre just more concentrated in certain areas.

The reason is because of the wet summer last year. The wet seeds didnt have time to dry out and blow for very far before landing and getting ready to germinate so thats why it appears that there are more dandelions, there arent more, theyre just more concentrated in certain areas.

Blimey, Jabbers is real intelligent isnt he sometimes ? :):)

Hang on, but if everyone has more than last year does that mean that somewhere doesn't have as many as me, as mine (and everyone else') have all seeded where they were? :huh:

Did that make sense?

I think it means that more of the seeds have landed straight on to soil where they can grow rather than blowing away on to roads &c where they can't.

Spoils everyone's fun who was going to blame it on the council's mowing regime!

Hang on, but if everyone has more than last year does that mean that somewhere doesn't have as many as me, as mine (and everyone else') have all seeded where they were? :huh:

Did that make sense?

Well wherever there was a dandylion last year, there`ll be four or five or maybe more around it now.

The seeds were weighed down by the rain and didnt float as far on the breezes because the rain fell in the dandylion season, the first one at least, I cant remember if it rained during the second flowering of the year.