The Fat Cat Pub

No it is around the back, an adjacent building.

From my website of pubs in that area

http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend.htm

Fat cat http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend/fatcat1796.jpg

Brewery http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend/kelhambrew1798.jpg

My problem with the fat cat is I often find lots pig ignorant people who insist on standing at the bar which is tiny and very crowded, making it really difficult to get served. If you were a small person you would have a great deal of difficulty. Especially when you need to get to the actual bar to understand what the beers are and their relative strengths etc.

That's why I prefer the Kelham Island Tavern, which has a very impressive selection of cask ales and a better layout but mainly the people and staff in there are much more fun, whereas I always find a lot of scowling in the Fat Cat.

Yes I heard the staff scowl a lot in there and there is a small bar hard to get served - but is this what a real ale place is supposed to be like? If I pay them more for dearer beer will they scowl more?

Yes I heard the staff scowl a lot in there and there is a small bar hard to get served - but is this what a real ale place is supposed to be like? If I pay them more for dearer beer will they scowl more?

Easier to just go in the Kelham Island Tavern if it is too busy. In my view that is a better pub and has an enormous variety of excellent ales.

If I were you I wouldn't bother with the Fat Cat at all, its an awful place full of freaks.

The Kelham Island is much nicer, friendlier and the beer is better (it has been awarded Sheffield CAMRA pub of the year every year since 2004).

If you've never been to the Fat Cat its probably worth a visit (I haven't been in for months) but so are the other pubs on the 'circuit' as has already been mentioned.

I much prefer the Kelham island aswell. The Fat Cat seems to be trying to survive on reputation, it won some food award about 7 years ago and seem to think that makes it good still!

Fat Cat is still a nice cosy pub with decent ale and a bit of character though.

The service is different to the Kelham - you get ignored rather than insulted! (joking there of course).

If the weather is nice then The Riverside Bar just down from the Fat Cat is definately worth a visit. You can sit on their terrace which overlooks the river, it has a brilliant range of real ales and there is live music every friday and saturday night, plus all you can eat buffet on a thursday. They also sell worsteiner and erdinger lagers.

it has a brilliant range of real ales

Not always, they only had one the other Saturday when we went down.

It is normally a worth a walk down however, its near the Harelquin as well (which has cheap beer every Monday).

True, but they had been let down by the supplier and also had run dry of a couple of lagers too. I dont think it was their fault and the manager was not pleased.

a pub worth a mention is what used to be called The Cask and Cutler. Is it the wellington or washington or sumat? Now that`s a pub with characture or is that dirt:)?

I`ve been in a couple of times and there`s just no atmosphere apart from the stuff that floats in the air.

Its the Wellington, and to be fair it is much less brown under the new ownership. :D

I agree coments about the Fat cat over rated in my opinion and to small.

Definately try the Kelham Island. I experienced the cold shoulder in the Fat Cat as a Sheffield newcomer but the staff and atmosphere in the KI is warm and friendly.

Beer's great and lots of places to sit. Also they have a nice terrace out the back for warmer evenings. Definately worth a visit!