Hillsborough MP to resign in protest at the 10% tax rate abolition

Does anyone have any thoughts on the relationship between this topic and the question of MP's "expenses?" Not just the John Lewis and taxis for the wife going shopping ones, all the others too. Not just the fact that the gravy train came over the hill and it blew. Oh no! For me the crunch comes in the knowledge that our elected representatives are fighting so hard to keep their profligacy at our expense away from prying public scrutiny.

Seems like nothing has changed since my grandad taught me the words to the song about the rich getting all the pleasure and the poor getting all the blame.

According to the BBC FOOD INFLATION is running at 6 times the headline rate of inflation. As pensioners and many of the lowest paid get their increases based on the headline rate they are increasingly finding it difficult to make ends meet in the real world.

This Government has done nothing to redress this and is more intent on cosying up to wealthy business men who might donate huge sums to their coffers.

This tax rate incease was just another example of a government that has lost the plot

And the increases are based on the official inflation rate the previous August or September, can't remember which, either way it's before any winter price increases kick in.

As I said in the other thread, it's all a big con. These 'rebels' will 'force' the Government to do a U-turn on the proposal in the hope that you'll remember it was Labour who sorted it for you when you vote.

Sounds like jam tommorow.

Tomorrow being the day after the council elections

This seems to be another example of Governance by special pleading.

The change in the 10p tax band has still been carried out; the only difference is that New Labour have done what they can to protect parts of their voting constituency, IMO.

They'll get the money back soemhow - probably from the taxpayers who WON'T be able to claim any of these wondrous tax credits... :)

This seems to be another example of Governance by special pleading.

The change in the 10p tax band has still been carried out; the only difference is that New Labour have done what they can to protect parts of their voting constituency, IMO.

They'll get the money back soemhow - probably from the taxpayers who WON'T be able to claim any of these wondrous tax credits... :)

Correct

As it has been stated that people loosing out from the tax change will be reimbursed, it stands to reason that someone else must pick up the tab to pay for those who gained. That'll be us them.

Which includes many of us who are in the low income brackets. Females over 60 are classed as pensioners, ie eligible for state pension, but without the higher tax threshold that kicks in at 65. Many are still working, and if its part time work its likely to be a) low paid, and b) ineligible for tax credits!

It would be so simple just to raise the tax threshold to a more reasonable level for everyone, and remove tax credits. I'm sure it would be within the capabilities of the Inland revenue, they worked that (fairer) system for years! The administration of the Tax Credit system must cost a fortune, not to mention the problems its caused to claimants.

Which includes many of us who are in the low income brackets. Females over 60 are classed as pensioners, ie eligible for state pension, but without the higher tax threshold that kicks in at 65. Many are still working, and if its part time work its likely to be a) low paid, and b) ineligible for tax credits!

It would be so simple just to raise the tax threshold to a more reasonable level for everyone, and remove tax credits. I'm sure it would be within the capabilities of the Inland revenue, they worked that (fairer) system for years! The administration of the Tax Credit system must cost a fortune, not to mention the problems its caused to claimants.

Every time they change a tax they need more civil servants to take the money off us. Everytime there is a backlash and concessions like we have just seen they need more civil servants to administer the changes.

A huge amount of what we pay in tax is to pay the wages and INDEX LINKED pensions of those who take the money from us.

Gordon Brown was responsible for hundreds of these stealth taxes whilst he was Chancellor and can't help interfering now he isn't. The abolition of the 10p rate of tax was a last hurrah for Brown in his attempt to get a headline about reducing the 22% band. The tax payers of Britain picked up the tab for Brown's headline and now we are going to pay again as the Treasury have to clear up the mess.

I think I would take to the bottle in protest if there wasn't an above inflation tax increase on that as well

Best thing for Hillsborough if she has resigned. Never did anything for us or had the curtesy to reply to any of our letters or requests for a meeting with her. Any other councillors that i have ever had any dealings with you have been able to get to see. WIth her it is only if she can be bothered.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Perhaps someone will take over who will serve the interests of their constituents fairly and squarely!